Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

failed to connect to server: Timed out

Jared Seely

So I am using Linux Mint as my server and Windows 8 as a client. I can ping the computers from both computers and I have checked both firewalls. Still I'm getting this Warning: failed to connect to server: Timed out.

Any ideas?

Jared Seely

I uninstalled Synergy on my Windows 8 and then blew away everything in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Synergy. I reinstalled and set it up like normal and it started to work. Apparently I had a older version with settings lingering or something. It's working now!

Andre Wheeley

I upgraded Synergy on my Mac and it stopped connecting to the Synergy server on Windows, which I didn't upgrade, with the time out error.

I rolled back to the previous version I had on the Mac and it's working again.

P.S. I couldn't upgrade the version of Synergy on Windows as the installer said something like, "there's already an installation in progress, so we can't run.", but I wasn't running an installer...

Shaun Kroeger

After messing around with this same issue for a while simply turning off the "auto config" check box on the client allowed synergy to find the correct ip address for server. running 1.8.4 on both client and server.

SSL and file copy and paste are also working as expected!