Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

The system cannot open the device or file specified

marcus bennett
Hello everybody. I'm trying to install synergy 172 stable It's worked fine on my Windows 2012 server 64 bit. Now I want to use it as a client on my Windows 2012x64 Storage server which currently has a) run the x64.msi file b) Synergy (64-bit) Setup windows appears c) Moments later /The system cannot open the device or file specified/ d) Options are retry or cancel e) Retry does not work f) Pressing cancel gives The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package This may indicate a problem with this package The error code is 2755. Help please.
marcus bennett
Damn, Premature posting syndrome. I fixed it and so to say ... seems that synergyd.exe or certainly synergy*.exe was running on the machine that refused installation From windows task manger, kill that process tree Now the installer at leverl 172 works fine And again most wonderfully synergy works from client to server. I'd just like to restate that synergy is a great product and whilst there have been a few teething troubles it's one of the most useful software components I use to manipulate my multi server and multi screen environment. regards marcus b.
Chris Edwards
The scenario above did not apply, as neither synergy*.exe or synergyd*.exe were running. In fact, as part of my testing, I completely uninstalled Synergy to be certain Synergy couldn't be running. The installer MSI I was using was located on my second hard drive and the only difference I could see was that the folder it sits in has the check mark, "Compress contents to save disk space" checked. I'm not sure if this was the problem, but when I created a folder C:\Temp and moved the installer file there and it installed flawlessly. System: Windows 8.1 Pro x64
  • 4 years later...

I am running on the same scenario installing "synergy_v1.11.0-stable_b162-b2173efb_windows_x64.msi" Windows 10 Pro. Ran it from D:\users\me\Downloads and also tried from command prompt after copy the .msi file to C:\tmp

Installation starts but halts with "The system cannot open the device or file specified" (Please check attached image)

I click cancel and then I get "The installer has encounter an unexpected error..." (Please check attached image)

Please advise.

The installer has encounter an unexpected error.png

The system cannot open the device or file specified.png