Sign in to follow this  
ckp

1.8.3 upgrade on Mac - config lost

8 posts in this topic

Just an fyi. When I installed 1.8.3 over my existing 1.8.2 on my mac 10.11 (as synergy server), it wiped out all my previous configs and I had to reconfigure everything and fiddle around with it a while before it would work again. It never lost my configs before when I would install newer versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, same thing here with my Mac client.

 

And while I got it working (after disabling SSL), something's not right. The log window is filling up with a flood of this stuff on the client:

 

[2016-09-26T11:01:22] NOTE: connecting to '': :24800
[2016-09-26T11:01:22] ERROR: server already has a connected client with name ""
[2016-09-26T11:01:22] WARNING: failed to connect to server: server already has a connected client with our name

And on the server:

 

[2016-09-26T11:03:39] NOTE: accepted client connection
[2016-09-26T11:03:39] WARNING: a client with name "" is already connected
[2016-09-26T11:03:39] NOTE: disconnecting client ""
[2016-09-26T11:03:39] NOTE: client "" has disconnected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing happened to me. And the client sees my server (correct fingerprint), but repeatedly fails to connect via SSL. Server Log window never shows the client trying to connect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a follow up, disabling SSL on both client and server fixed this issue, but I don't want to run in unencrypted mode--that's the whole reason I upgraded to Pro!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My connection won't work either. Same issues reported above.

 

**EDIT**

I got an email like... immediately after posting this - saying to re-run the wizards on each machine and that fixed it. Thank you for the prompt assistance!

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following steps fixed the SSL issue for me. This solution came from the Synergy Team at Symless:

 

There's a known issue in Synergy 1.8.3 where the SSL plugin can be out of date, which stops the client connecting to the server. To fix this, please re-run the wizard on all of your machines.

 

  1. Open Synergy on the server
  2. If Windows: Go to the Edit, then click Settings
  3. If macOS: Go to Synergy, then click Preferences
  4. Ensure the "Use SSL encryption" checkbox is enabled
  5. Go to File, then Run Wizard
  6. Click Next until you see the Activation screen
  7. Enter your login details or serial key
  8. Click "Continue" and finish the wizard
  9. Repeat those steps for each client

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re-running the wizards on each machine does not fix the issue for me.

Tried to downgrade to 1.8.2 (on server Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and client Windows Server 2012) but could not make it work again.

I hope that you guys are working to fix this ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this