Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Not able to consistently copy/paste

Adam Foisey
I've been using Synergy for a few years now, but one issue that seems to plague me is not being able to consistently copy/paste data between my computers. Has anyone else ran into this issue and/or found a solution? It seems very hit/miss when it comes to the successful transition of the clipboard.
I have the same exact issue with Mac synergy server and windows 10 client. Often copy paste works from windows to my mac, but rarely from my mac to windows and it is probably my biggest problem with synergy. I am running the latest synergy version too, which was supposed to fix some copy/paste stuff. However, as I just tried, stop/start the synergy server still doesn't work for me going from my Mac to windows 10. If I start copy/pasting around from Win to Mac, it starts to work sometimes from Mac to Win.
Adam Foisey
What I really wish would work is the copy/pasting of files. I would love to be able to send files over my outlook on one computer and not have to have outlook open on all my PC's
Damien Norris
My mileage varies on copy and paste and has for the last 10 years. I run my server on Windows and an OSX client on my laptop. With 1.8.2, it's really bad, I could only get it to work one or two times for an entire day of trying. One thing I did notice was that it pasted an image (something I had screen captured hours before) as I was trying to copy and paste text. Anyway, I turned on debugging on both client and server but didn't notice anything untoward, it was just not showing any messages regarding clipboard most of the time when I'd copy and paste stuff. I had to downgrade to 1.7.6 and now my copy and paste is back working. I'd love to be able to turn off the image copy/paste and even everything but plain text clipboard copy, I think that might prove more reliable. I'd prefer only the plain text to be able to copy, since most of the time I'm trying to copy code or shell commands.
Ruedi Gygli

I am since many years a user of synergy - basically between some win10 machines and OSX el Captain. After all these Releases (actually 1.8.2) this clipboard issue is still not solved... it is even worse than older releases...

Additional Info:

The Problem seems not to be on OSX side (copy) but Win 10 (paste)

Edited by Guest
Jan B�¶ttger

I run synergy for more than a year (always with Linux-Server / MacOS client). I basically run my macos laptop as client at work and at home with the linux machines as servers.

Copy-Paste always was a problem and I cannot count how often the sessions crashed.

The crashes are mosty gone with 1.8.2. But the clipboard only works in one direction only: Linux-server -> Mac-client.

I see the Info: clipboard was updated message on the mac all the time when it is appropriate. I never see that message on the Linux instance anymore and neither is the clipboard updated - at least that is consistent. Restarting the session or the software instance on either or both client and server does not fix the problem.

In short: since 1.8.2 the MacOS->Linux copy/paste is now completely broken, the Linux->MacOS copy/paste might have improved stability.

Please fix.

Scott Boutwell

LONG TIME user of Synergy, even running BETA versions of Synergy in the past. The Copy/Paste as well as Drag and Drop for me also has been HIT and Miss.

Copy and Paste of simple TEXT seems to work but when copy/paste or drag and drop of a file? Yeah always Fails.

Running 1.8.2 Pro, I get Error: corrupted clipboard data when attempting to copy from my iMac with 10.11.6 and Windows 10 Anniversary Pro 64bit.

At one point I even considered that many of Synergy issues could be my Virus Checker on either system. Nope was not the case.

This is certainly something the Authors need to address going forward. Security seems to have focused on and addressed with the SSL encryption. STABILIZATION of the Copy/Paste between all platforms needs to be a priority going forward to make this application useful to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Sean Valentine

Just thought I'd add my two cents on this. Long time pro user. Ever since upgrading to 1.8.2 on my El Capitan OSX and Trusty Ubuntu 14.04.5, cut and paste (of text) only works from the server (my Ubuntu machine) to the Mac. Cut and paste from the Mac to the Ubuntu machine doesn't work at all. I think it worked once after stopping and starting the agents on both machines, but that only seems to have helped that once. It's a real pain as copying text from one system to the other is something I really used a lot. Hope somebody is looking into fixing this in the next release.

I will say that under the previous release, communications between the two devices would fail multiple times a day and would require a restart of the agents on both machines to fix it and that issue seems to have been resolved. I'd be happy to require a restart of the agents if it would get me cut&paste back though.

Dave Vigliotti

Just to bump this back up to the top...

I, too, am experiencing the copy and paste non-functioning issue. I am running 1.8.2 64bit server on Win10 and client on Mac OSX 10.11.6. The function worked well enough in previous versions so as not to drive me to the forums but now it appears to be fully broken.

More than happy to test solutions. Just send em to me!

Agreed! CnP issue is wreaking havoc on me. Two Win10 machines that are identical in every way. CnP seems to work more reliably from client to server but have had no luck with server to client. Would be happy to test or provide more info if needed.

Same issue here, both client and server on Windows 10 64-bit running Synergy Pro 1.8.3-rc1-d9b9375. I get the issue on both, and usually have to restart the Synergy service on both (I swear a little each time, too, maybe that's helping). It seems to mostly occur after I resume both systems from suspend in the morning, but that's purely anecdotal.

I too am discouraged by the copy-and-paste functionality. It works for awhile, and then just stops working. I don't mind if it's not a feature offered, but when it does work, I get really happy using it, and then when it stops working I have to rework my process again, and I find myself getting frustrated because I'd gotten used to it working. I know the developers had hoped they fixed the issue in 1.8.2, but apparently there are still some bugs. I love Synergy when it works!

Joao Carvalho

hmm i do not use the pro version.

But copy / paste works for me in all direction i have a mac os 10.11.6 , a linux machine and a windows .

There is one detail though.

if i copy from windows to mac or linux to mac all is ok.

But if i do a copy from mac to any other i have to do something stupid.

For ppl who are unable to copy paste from mac , please try this.

Move to the mac screen do a copy and count to 3, only then move to the destination OS and do a paste.

I really want to move to mac 10.12 , but waiting for a green light in this forum , what works and what doesn't ?

marc enright

I tried this feature today on the latest stable version - between 2x win 10, server and client CnP worked OK but not the other way.

Strangely if I had something in the clipboard on the server side first CnP worked from the client.

I need to do some more testing using the mac client too.

Michael Richards

1.8.3 has this fixed, at least for me. Keep in mind if you are using a windows machine as server you will use CTRL+C for copy but once on the mac you will use WINDOWSKEY+V to paste and if going from mac you will use WINDOWSKEY+C and then use CTRL+V once back on Win 10. The WINDOWSKEY acts like the command key on the Mac.

• 2 weeks later...
Vincent Seow

Hi folks, I just installed Synergy on my two computers, both running Win 10 64-bit. Installed using the auto-configuration. Screen positions work fine but Copy and Paste does not work. I'll try again later after a reboot. I hope this feature can work as it will be very useful for me. Synergy support, please advise.

I add my voice the collection of users having (intermittent?) problems w/ clipboard transfer between my two PCs. I keep watching for trigger circumstances which cause the clipboard to fail, but haven't pinned anything down. I recommend to Symless that they implement a more detailed set of clearly explained debugging messages (optionally disableable, of course) that might help me to diagnose. I keep installing the latest versions saying "hope they fixed it this time!)

Win7x64 <-> Linux Mint 17.3 KDE; CryptoTE (encrypted text file editor) used heavily on both PCs.

Just to let off some steam here: I've been using Synergy on-and-off for lots of years now, depending upon my hardware setup. When I use it, I rely upon it HEAVILY to provide two functions that are required for that setup to provide workflow at all: keyboard/mouse sharing (of course), and clipboard transfer (of course). And it seems that for years now, Synergy has performed as if it were early-beta software - as far as reliability has been concerned - in one or both of these areas. Currently, keyboard/mouse sharing works solidly for me. Nick, spend the time to make the clipboard robust!

I've only donated small amounts in response to calls for help over the years, but I'm going to up my donations (and hope others will too) because I want you guys to be provided for while focusing making this software awesomely reliable!

• 4 weeks later...
Allan Anderson
Win7x64 <-> Linux Mint 17.3 KDE; CryptoTE (encrypted text file editor) used heavily on both PCs.

My config except Mint 17.2. What Synergy version do you use? Works? 1.8.2 here doesn't hang or crash but CnP on and off.

• 1 year later...

I know this is really old but it is an annoyance that I have that has bugged me.

I want to point out that Joao Carvalho suggestion to count to 3 works.  I have been restarting the server when I wanted to paste something important, but if try copying again, but don't move the cursor over to the other screen for 3 seconds, then move it over and paste it works.

Thanks

douglas

• 5 months later...

Currently using version 1.10.0-stable0275cdc1c on both ends, Pro version with SSL:

- server: Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit

- client: OSX High Sierra

Copying chinese text from Ubuntu to OSX works fine, but the other way around always results in a sequence of question marks pasted into Ubuntu from originally Chinese text on the OSX. The question marks suggest the Unicode conversion problem. Very very inconvenient.

• 4 months later...
Centellion

Bumping this. Using 1.10.1-stable-8941241e on both client and server, both Windows 10 64 bit. Copy/paste of text only works however copy/paste of files and/or drag drop of files does not work. Not sure what level of debug logs are needed, please advise and I can attach them.

Hello @Centellion and Team.

We are aware of the drag & drop bug you're experiencing and plan to fix it. I can’t give you an estimate on how long until it’s fixed because we don’t want to over promise, but we do appreciate how frustrating the problem is. You should be able to drag from desktop to desktop on Windows and macOS, but if that doesn't work there is no known workaround. 

• 2 months later...
Richard.Wallot

Used Synergy years ago and per company policy had to remove it, I'm back and am glad about that. Not having to move monitors constantly is as we all know, the reason for Synergy. :-)

Just installed the latest 1.10.1 today.  both machines are Windows 10 Pro at the latest updates. I didn't go after anything in a scientific way but, I can see on either machine when I'm dragging a file - and then once I cross over to the other machine I lose the file. Copying and pasting text does not work in either direction as well.

To spend money just to spend it is not what I prefer but, if going to version 2 is an answer, I'm there.