Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

OSX El Capitan (10.11.6) and Windows 10 Issue

Price Craddock
I am running OSX 10.11.6 on a Macbook Pro (late 2013) using a Magic Keyboard (bluethooth) and Magic Mouse 2 (bluethooth). The Mac is the server and the Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 is the client. The mouse is working perfectly, however the keyboard is not functioning at all. I really hoped that this would resolve my issue of having to use two keyboards and 2 mice. Anyone out there using this same configuration with it working? If so are there any suggestions as to how to get it to function.
Mart Ganzevles
I can only confirm that this works for me. I have a Windows 10 desktop and a MacBook Pro (2012) running the latest OS X El Capitan. :)
Michael Herring

I have a Windows 10 (Version 1511, build 10586.545) host connecting to a MacBook running El Capitan (10.11.6 (15G31)).

Same issue, I can mouse over to the Mac and click things, but typing seems to do nothing. If I reboot my Mac into Windows 10 then everything works, so I think this is a macOS issue.

Let me know what debug information you need, happy to help troubleshoot this.

Price Craddock

Here are a few things I have learned trying to get this to work. Using the older Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse (version 1) does not make a difference. It appears that using the MacBook Pro as a "server" is not supported when using Mavericks and higher, and this is based on the number of people on this, and other, forums with the same issues. Apparently something in the OSX Yosemite update caused this issue. I am not sure if this is just when there is a Windows PC involved with the Mac acting as a server, or if two Macs have this issue as well. I have reversed the scenario and set the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (with a wired keyboard and Mouse) as "server" and the Mac as a client and voila it works with no issues. So it appears that you are going to have to love using the Windows keyboard and mouse (which I don't) on the Windows PC as "server" for this be operational. I can only hope that the Synergy team will correct this down the road, however it appears not to be a high priority based on the amount of time that has passed since this started being raised as an issue.

Michael Herring

It looks like my issue is different, then...I've found that using the Japanese keyboard layout on my macOS client causes keyboard input to disappear. I'll make a separate thread for my issue.

Thanks for the info!