Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Auto-Updating for Synergy

Hi, I am happy to see updates but it annoys me that every time there is an update I need to re-download the latest version of your website (in addition that requires me to log-in). It would be great if you could add self-updating packages (e.g. use Sparkle on Mac, etc). Regards, Tim
  • 1 month later...
Alberto Klocker

+1

A Linux deb and rpm repo would be awesome and quite easy to do.

I can understand Mac and Windows are more complicated but auto updates would be sweet!

Aidan Millar-Powell

This is a terrible, terrible idea. In theory it sounds nice but you are forgetting that synergy requires the same version on all machines in order to work. Apart from that I still run Snow Leopard on one of my machines, Arch and Windows 10 on the other two. Auto-updating would completely break my setup. That would piss me off no-end and I would most likely sooner stop using Synergy than upgrade my setup.

Stefan Sommer

+1 for auto-update.

I have better use for my time than updating 100+ installers (so i am a user of Secunia PSI, too).

And for Aidan's sake, make it configurable.

Br

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...
Amrik Randhawa

This feels like a basic feature that would help all users stay up-to-date with the latest version and ensure that we've got all bug fixes as soon as possible. It's extremely frustrating having to update each machine manually. It's like I'm back in 1995. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
John Greg Hossbach
This is a terrible, terrible idea. In theory it sounds nice but you are forgetting that synergy requires the same version on all machines in order to work. Apart from that I still run Snow Leopard on one of my machines, Arch and Windows 10 on the other two. Auto-updating would completely break my setup. That would piss me off no-end and I would most likely sooner stop using Synergy than upgrade my setup.

Being an option, you could choose to turn off the auto-update feature.

+1 vote for the auto-update feature! Great idea!

Bryan Watson

No, Synergy does not require that all machines be on the same version. I run the latest version on my clients (Windows) and version 1.8.2 on my Mac server (1.8.3 broke my Mac keyboard media keys).

Bryan Watson

Being an option, you could choose to turn off the auto-update feature.

+1 vote for the auto-update feature! Great idea!

+1

There should be an auto update feature that you can configure. I would like to see it where you can set it to auto update, turn off auto updates, and click a button or link to have it download the latest update and install it without having to log into the website.

• 2 weeks later...
Red Squirrel

This would be great, also have it resolve all the dependencies. I'm on an older version because I just can't get the newer ones to install due to all the dependencies. Idealy it could run from the server and then push to the clients.

• 3 weeks later...
Eric Seastrand

I actually came to the forums to request that Synergy create an Ubuntu PPA so I could have it update automatically like the everything else in my OS (Linux Mint).

It sounds super easy. See this SO answer: http://askubuntu.com/a/71516/457908 (Question: http://askubuntu.com/questions/71510/how-do-i-create-a-ppa)

I stumbled upon this post, and thought it'd be more beneficial to bump this one than start my own.

So even with this, I'd still have to manually update Synergy on my iMac, but it'd still save me some hassle. C'mon, Synergy, auto-update is pretty standard now days.

• 3 weeks later...
Matt Espinoza

Yes, I would pay handsomely for this feature. I run it on three computers (2x Windows 10 64, 1x OSX Sierra) and I get an eye twitch when I see the update message. I seriously would pay more for a version that auto updates. I came to this forum, just to say this btw. I just had to update Synergy. SUPER MOTIVATED HERE :)

+1, all for automated updates with option cause I have avoided all Synergy updates since you know when.

Ignoring the multimachine impact which I'm sure can be worked out, see the implementation in Beyond Compare from Scooter Software. It rocks.

+1 but lets not be platformists...after all... a huge benefit of the solution is its relative seamlessness over OSs. You could (should?) even have a pre release group of early adopters to avoid large issues with release deployments. I logged in looking to use my revered feature request I was saving for a rainy day to find that the company has progressed beyond that model. If I had one ask of your product over all others it would be auto updating to stable builds. It is hard to tell you are not updated unless you are having an issue. Thanks for the consideration