Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

V. 1.8.2 Stable installation hiccups

Hi from Berlin, Basically, this is a case of "all's well that ends well", but I'd like to report that installation of the latest-and-greatest version of Synergy went somewhat less smoothly than expected / hoped for. My Synergy server runs on Win 7 x64, and the two clients are on Win 7 x64 and WinXP x32. All three machines are "protected" by Norton Internet Security, v. 21.7.0.11. It's not the newest version, but I'm happy with it, and it generally does what it's supposed to. Today, however, it caused the problem with Synergy, but only on the machine that I have set up as my server. :geek: Knowing I'd need both, as soon as I received notice of the update, I downloaded both the 64 and 32-bit versions. I figured I'd start with the server, and when I clicked on the 64-bit .msi file, Win7 dutifully asked if I wanted to allow the program to run. Of course I answered "Yes". That, however, was the end. Nothing happened. My machine didn't crash or anything, but nothing happened. I opened Task Manager and saw the Windows Installer was running, so I killed it and tried to run the program again; the result was the same. I then decided to try my luck with the two clients; both worked fine. Go figure. I then went back to the server. Still no luck, so I decided to reboot. When Win-doze reincarnated, I tried one more time. It looked like "déjà-vu all over again", but then Norton informed me that it had blocked the .msi from running because it was too new and had not yet reached the required "trust level" or whatever it's called. I answered in the affirmative when asked if I wanted to run the program anyway, and then things were in Happyland. At the end of the day, everything's up and running, and the new version of Synergy appears to work well. Cutting and pasting seems to work across the board, and other than the Norton-caused delay, there's nothing to lament. End of report. :)