Detire Zacharias

Mouse button quit working on clients

40 posts in this topic

same problem here with v.1.8.8, Win 10 x64 (server) and various clients (Win 7 x64, OSX 10.7, etc.). I deinstalled Synergy on all machines and installed v.1.7.6. Now mouseclicks are recognised again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunately, reverting to v.1.7.6 solved the problem for one session only. Two days later the problem reappeared again. It must have something to do with Windows 10 as a server. Because I ran Synology (every version) before on a Windows 7 as a server, and never had problems like that.

Unrelated to Synergy software, Windows 10 still is a bit problematic. Developers need to contact Microsoft to sort out these problems. Win 10 users must consider reverting to Win 7 until these problems are solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone...I am experiencing same issue with mouse...My current version: 1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2 Build Date March 16, 2107

OS Windows 7

Any word form developers on fix?

 

Edited by david dube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.8.8 Same issue on WIn 10 Pro Client/server, If I Stop/Start the server the mouse clicks are registered again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same issue for me. It works for a bit then no clickity click.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there an official place for us to report this issue, as it seems to be quite common?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got in touch with someone about this issue and shared this thread with them.... (not sure why they didn't find it themselves.....). How they respond to this issue will determine if I keep using. I heard about this from a Linus Tech Tips advertisement. I hope I don't have to have Linus do a video on how much they suck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of weeks ago I was surprised to realize that the mouse clicks were registering as they should on the client. I don't know what changed, although I think it was an OS update on the client machine. And then yesterday my Synergy server machine received an OS update and had to reboot. Boom, problem returned. This has happened in the past several times. It would start working after a Synergy update and then a few days later an OS update would install and then the clients clicks would stop working again.

This is too annoying to be software people will pay for. I've donated money once back when it worked MOST of the time. Now it doesn't work most of the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone. If you haven't tried the v1.9.0 yet, please download it from this thread. It would be helpful if you can leave some comments, some feedback or suggestions on that thread. We would like to thank everyone for sharing their issues and concerns. We assure you that everyone on our team is doing our best to cater all of this inputs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 0:47 PM, Paul Suarez said:

Hi everyone. If you haven't tried the v1.9.0 yet, please download it from this thread. It would be helpful if you can leave some comments, some feedback or suggestions on that thread. We would like to thank everyone for sharing their issues and concerns. We assure you that everyone on our team is doing our best to cater all of this inputs.

Just tried the build on that thread.  Still seeing the same issue.  Will comment there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 0:47 PM, Paul Suarez said:

Hi everyone. If you haven't tried the v1.9.0 yet, please download it from this thread. It would be helpful if you can leave some comments, some feedback or suggestions on that thread. We would like to thank everyone for sharing their issues and concerns. We assure you that everyone on our team is doing our best to cater all of this inputs.

Actually I have no option to reply on that thread...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too cannot reply to that thread... I installed this build. reboot was required for my server. after reboot I was able to use mouse buttons at first as I controlled the client to delete the 1.9 installer from the desktop. However I then tried to empty the clients recycle bin, right clicked, got the context menu and was unable to click on anything else until I restarted the server.... I'm not too optimistic that this build fixes the issue.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still having same issue with mouse click.......... I have been on RC 1.9 for a few weeks. This was a waste of cash if this issue won't be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been having the issue for a while.   Seems to happen most often when I use webex on the Server system.    stopping and starting the service on the server side seems to fix the issue, but it always returns.   

Edited by Josh Borges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now