Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Anyone else experience glitches with mouse and keyboard?

Travis Hoff
So, I had installed Synergy and fell in love. But a few days after I installed (maybe a week) I Started having the weirdest issues. I thought it was an Adobe issue as the Photoshop tools were acting funky. I don't know how to explain it, but in the adobe programs I was unable to click and drag. If I tried to use the brush tool it would just draw a straight line from the point of the initial mouse press to the point of mouse release. I was unable to click and drag layers, make selections, and other weird issues. After effects had very similar issues. Took me till the next day to realize that the problem carried over to Microsoft Office programs, and a few others. Keyboard functions were also effected (not F#, but things like Ctrl+C) Oddly this issue did not affect Windows 10 itself (clicking and dragging files and folders, making selections, etc). Anyway, I did a PC factory reset (stupid me, synergy was one of the only programs I didn't consider uninstalling) and after setting everything up, ran into the same issue. Did another factory reset but this time tested program by program. Found out it was in fact Synergy causing the problem. Installed, problem, uninstalled, no problem, installed, problem, uninstalled, no problem. Tested probably 4 or 5 times to be sure. This really really sucks because I love the program. It's amazing! I hope someone can help me.
Karl Buhl
I recently started seeing a similar problem on one of my client PCs (one server, two clients). All are running Windows 10. Suddenly, sometime over the past several days, my connection to my laptop has a high degree of latency: typing, mouse movement, and Ctrl-C copy does no longer works on that PC. I'm wondering if it's a Windows update issue?
Adam Moore
I'm having the exact same issues. I've been doing without Synergy for a couple of weeks now because of these issues, which has really impacted my productivity. This has affected various mouse & keyboard commands in Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCad, and in a lot of different programs when trying to select text with the mouse. Edit: I'm using Windows 10 x64, Build 10586
I have had the same issue but this workaround works for me with Synergy auto starting. I run the Synergy GUI and click "Start" even though it is running and working. I can then use the tools and shortcuts in PS. I am using Win 10 x64 Try it, it might work for you also.
I think I'm having similar issues. I narrowed it down to CTRL/ALT being "sticky", so that the client thinks it is being pressed when it's not. Could happen multiple times a day. On the Client I "fix" it by opening the on-screen keyboard, that apparently resets the CTR/ALT state. On the server I just mash the CTRL & ALT keys ;)
Travis Hoff
So I said "Lets give it another go!" Installed Senergy on Server side, but it didn't prompt for Bonjour. Made sure it was installed, yes, all good to go. Went over to client side, installed, once again no prompt for bonjour, and then I get this: "Please Fill In A Host Name for the synergy client to connect to" Uninstalled Synergy on Client > restarted PC > downloaded and installed Bonjour (download iTunes install file, extracted via WinRAR, then used Bonkour install file) > restarted PC > reinstalled Synergy on Client > "Please Fill In A Host Name for the synergy client to connect to" >_< What am I doing wrong? There's no place to enter "host name". And theres no issue with my network, able to view, exchange, and edit files from all computers and able to stream iTunes from one computer to another. So, I'm confident it's not network settings or firewall stuff. I tried looking it up, but all I find is stuff about MAC to Win, Ubuntu to Win, or MAC to Ubuntu. Nothing about Windows to Windows. I currently have Windows 10 on server side and Windows 7 on Client. I can still windows 10 on one more computer, so if absolutely need be, I'm cool with doing it.
Richard Lengyel
[quote="Fudsey"]I have had the same issue but this workaround works for me with Synergy auto starting. I run the Synergy GUI and click "Start" even though it is running and working. I can then use the tools and shortcuts in PS. I am using Win 10 x64 Try it, it might work for you also.[/quote] O.M.G!!!! It works! Thank you so much! It drove me crazy, and now it's working again, thank you again
Michael McLeish
On the server side my F-key's (autokey scripts) stopped working didn't think much of it then I moved over to the client and my fkeys are working but my mouse wont click? start/stop server everything back up.
Michael McLeish
[quote="Travis Hoff"]So I said "Lets give it another go!" Installed Senergy on Server side, but it didn't prompt for Bonjour. Made sure it was installed, yes, all good to go. Went over to client side, installed, once again no prompt for bonjour, and then I get this: "Please Fill In A Host Name for the synergy client to connect to" Uninstalled Synergy on Client > restarted PC > downloaded and installed Bonjour (download iTunes install file, extracted via WinRAR, then used Bonkour install file) > restarted PC > reinstalled Synergy on Client > "Please Fill In A Host Name for the synergy client to connect to" >_< What am I doing wrong? There's no place to enter "host name". And theres no issue with my network, able to view, exchange, and edit files from all computers and able to stream iTunes from one computer to another. So, I'm confident it's not network settings or firewall stuff. I tried looking it up, but all I find is stuff about MAC to Win, Ubuntu to Win, or MAC to Ubuntu. Nothing about Windows to Windows. I currently have Windows 10 on server side and Windows 7 on Client. I can still windows 10 on one more computer, so if absolutely need be, I'm cool with doing it.[/quote] on your server side Synergy App click configure server, then check to make sure that you have a client on that grid with the screen name ("HOSTNAME") that matches your client that is connecting to the server.
Roger Tyson
What I found is when I have synergy active, I lose my scroll wheel on some apps, notably Thunderbird. It may work for a few days, then just stop when I try to scroll through a message. If I turn synergy off, then full functionality comes back. I initially thought it was an issue with Thunderbird, but found when I needed to stop Synergy for a screen share, Thunderbird worked fine. Anyways, that what I've found so far. Version 1.7.6 Server: Windows 10 Client: CentOS 6
Travis Hoff
I am very sorry for not following up, Ive been ill for a few days and then had an extremely busy weekend and have not had an opportunity to test the suggested remedies. will do today.
Travis Hoff
so... I feel a bit on the dumb side. didn't have "Auto config" selected on client side. K, So, ill mess around with this for a while and then when the problem with photoshop and other programs come up, ill try out some of the troubleshooting options and get back to you. For the moment, everything is working fine. But problems didn't start showing up for about a week initially. so it might be some time. Thank you again for all of your help.
Daniel K.
[quote="Treb"]I think I'm having similar issues. I narrowed it down to CTRL/ALT being "sticky", so that the client thinks it is being pressed when it's not. Could happen multiple times a day. On the Client I "fix" it by opening the on-screen keyboard, that apparently resets the CTR/ALT state. On the server I just mash the CTRL & ALT keys ;)[/quote] Same here, also multiple times a day, but only on the server (where mouse and keyboard is attached). Pressing through all the keys SHIFT, CTRL, ALT back and forth mostly solves the problem for some time. Also, open Synergy GUI, simply click Apply works. But this all is just a workaround, it seems to be a widespread issue. I'm expierincing it since months and versions and it needs to be finally fixed. Settings: Version: 1.7.6 No elevate mode SSL turned on Server: Win 2012 R2 Client: Win 7 Daniel
Travis Hoff
[quote="Daniel K."][quote="Treb"]I think I'm having similar issues. I narrowed it down to CTRL/ALT being "sticky", so that the client thinks it is being pressed when it's not. Could happen multiple times a day. On the Client I "fix" it by opening the on-screen keyboard, that apparently resets the CTR/ALT state. On the server I just mash the CTRL & ALT keys ;)[/quote] Same here, also multiple times a day, but only on the server (where mouse and keyboard is attached). Pressing through all the keys SHIFT, CTRL, ALT back and forth mostly solves the problem for some time. Also, open Synergy GUI, simply click Apply works. But this all is just a workaround, it seems to be a widespread issue. I'm expierincing it since months and versions and it needs to be finally fixed. Settings: Version: 1.7.6 No elevate mode SSL turned on Server: Win 2012 R2 Client: Win 7 Daniel[/quote] Started working in After Effects and sure enough, the problem set in. Hitting "Apply" did do the trick! Awesome man, thank you so very much!
SlushPump
running 1.7.6 on Win 7 server with Win 10 client. 95% of my activity is on the Win 7 server. Several times per day synergy will burp, resulting in the following behaviour on that server: - (most often)- cannot left-click and drag mouse in MS Office/Outlook to highlight text. - (new today) - scrolling in a spreadsheet- holding left mouse button on scroll bar no longer auto-repeats. workaround: right-click my computer/manage/services/Synergy stop. Everything works again. Then I restart Synergy when I need to use my second machine again; it will continue to work for a while, then it burps again, so lather/rinse/repeat. Older version 1.7.4 did not have this problem.
Travis Hoff
SlushPump: Did you try Daniel K.s suggestion? Going into the Synergy GUI and hitting Apply? I was having almost identical problems that had different reactions in different programs because the holding down and dragging left-click behaves differently for each program. But clicking "Apply" resolved all issues.
SlushPump
Thanks.. I tried just hitting "apply" for the past day and it worked [b]3 of the 4 times[/b] when Synergy had barfed. I have tried that previously, but avoided it as sometimes it will go totally wacko, resulting in the need to reboot. Anyway, although I didn't have to reboot (yet), on the 4'th time I got the following: [2016-07-08T16:27:13] INFO: drag and drop enabled [2016-07-08T16:27:13] ERROR: failed to init synwinhk.dll, another program may be using it [2016-07-08T16:27:13] INFO: restarting your computer may solve this error [2016-07-08T16:27:13] FATAL: failed to start server: unable to open screen [2016-07-08T16:27:14] ERROR: failed to launch, error: process immediately stopped [2016-07-08T16:27:14] INFO: backing off, wait=10s, failures=5 .... hitting stop/start on the gui worked this time. But I've had bad results with this approach previously.
  • 3 weeks later...
Chuck Merilliod
I see that there is a lot of reports of Keyboard / Mouse Issues. I have been a long time user of Synergy using the older free versions. I decided to pay for it and upgrade to the current release 1.7.6. Here is a list of the current issues that I know have -Scroll wheel stops working -Unable to highlight text with right click -IE Locks up -Copy Paste clipboard stops working I can hit apply and it will fix things sometimes Even though Synergy is running the GUI will have an option to start, If I click Start it will fix things sometime If I Click the Windows key, it will fix things sometimes. Is there a resolution to this. Do the developers monitor this. Even an acknowledgment would be nice.
SlushPump
These problems persist still. Additional symptoms: - click+drag will only highlight part of a sentence sometimes. - click and hold in a scrollbar no longer auto-repeats - all systems will periodically brown out for 10 seconds or more, especially if copying a large buffer from one system to another. Clicking "apply" will fix about 80% of the problems. But they are happening so often that I'm now clicking "stop" most of the day and only turn Synergy back on when I absolutely need it. If there's no fix for these issues soon, I will be reverting to an older version as a last-ditch attempt before I look elsewhere for a product.
  • 2 months later...
William Welker

I do wish this would get some attention and get fixed! I remain disappointed with Synergy with each new version. While everything works a first, the server and client eventually stop passing the ability to scroll with the mouse scroll wheel. Clearly this is a known problem but I don't see any evidence that it is being addressed. FWIW, my frustration with Synergy loss of scroll led me to try "Mouse Without Borders" and I experienced the same problem with loss of scroll, so I reluctantly went back to Synergy because it is easier to "stop" and "start" the Synergy server than it was to stop and start Mouse Without Borders. I'm not a programmer, but I assume what I'm saying here might be helpful to the Synergy programmers - knowing that the loss of scroll seems to be something that affects both Synergy and similar programs.

Synergy Version (problem has been observed on all Synergy versions): 1.8.3

Server: Windows 10

Client: Windows 10, MAC OSX 10.11

Elevate: As Needed

Use SSL Encryption: Checked