Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Stability of Synergy 1.7

Clemens Nafe
Hello, just to put my two pence in. Some days ago I got an email from Nick regarding a survey of new features in Synergy to be evaluated. I wonder why the project is looking for new features while is unable to get their product stable at all. For example do I have to stop and reconnect both server and client several times a day due to loss of connectivity. When I look at the Issue Tracker I'm not the only one. Annother example is the never ending AltGr issue. Up to the Windows 10 Upgrade in my company I was fine with ignoring the 1.7.* branch and carry on using 1.6.3. With Windows 10 Synergy 1.6.3 reached the same instabillity level as 1.7.4. Now with 1.7.6 I'm frustrated enough to write this words. When I go through the Issue Tracker I assume that the focus of development is on features/fixes for Mac machines. If there is not enough time/will the get the software stable on all supported OSs maybe you should stop support them and focus only on the one you use yourself. That would be sad for me as Fedora 23 (s) / Windows 10 (c) user, but as we say in Germany: Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken, als ein Schrecken ohne Ende (Google translate: Better an end with horror than a horror without end.). Regards Clemens
daniele carbone
I Nick, thanks a lot for your wonderful software, I have purchased it and I'm using it every day at home and at work. You have really changed my every day working way!!! However I have to confirm this and many other open issues!!! I'm a programmer and I can vaguely understand complexity under the car hood, but the only stable version for me too is 1.7.2 (32 and 64 bit) With newer versions (from 1.7.3 to beta 1.8.3) I have many problems with frequently crash, disconnections, keyboard mapping issues (worst of all broken tab key for terminal command line completion! ), copy and paste issues (frequently crash associated), slow chrome mouse movements. I use: 4 clients with 7 screens, with Linux ubuntu 16.04 and 14.04, gnome-session-fallback (gnome2) or gnome3 or unity, 4.4.0-24-lowlatency kernel on the synergy-server machine and synergy auto start from lightdm scripts. I need stability. Some weeks before you asked me if I want to test newer version, but I have lost that mail. I made it with the aforementioned problems. Tell me if you need detailed log or if you already know everything on this issues. thanks again //Daniele Carbone
  • 1 month later...
Clemens Nafe
Hi All, yesterday I upgraded to 1.8.2. With going to 1.7.6 I was frustrated enough to write a post. I think now it's fair to write that 1.8.2 is really stable enough (for me) to be a valid replacement for 1.6.3 (which was in my opinion the last stable version). So, thank you for the work. I'm back on track now. Clemens Update: To be able to make my experience compareable. Client: Windows 10 Server: Fedora 23 SSL: on crashes in last 24h: 0