Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

ERROR: server already has a connected client with name...

David Larpent
Hi - I am trying to get set up. I have version synergy-v1.7.6-stable-bcb9da8-MacOSX1011-x86_64 installed on both an MBP and an iMac, both runnning El Capitan 10.11.5. I get: [code]NOTE: disconnecting client "larpo" name "larpo" is already connected[/code] Sometimes: [code]ERROR: server already has a connected client with the name "larpo" [/code] I have tried renaming both the server and the client machine but that doesn't help.
  • 7 months later...
Mark Inkley

Perhaps this is just a Bug and nothing to really worry about. I looked at the source code for the error message.

server will generate this message when it tries to adopt a client. So the question is probably more why is it trying to adopt a client it already adopted?

// add client to client list
       if (!addClient(client)) {
               // can only have one screen with a given name at any given time
               LOG((CLOG_WARN "a client with name \"%s\" is already connected", getName(client).c_str()));
               closeClient(client, kMsgEBusy);
               return;

Which does not make sense, I see a lot of 'client has disconnected' messages so perhaps server is getting bogus disconnects and trying to adopt a client which it has already adopted.

This error message could also be indirectly causing a high CPU problem if you have logging turned on with DEBUG, it generates a lot of messages and I think this might lead on to High CPU usage on Linux clients after a while.

• 1 year later...

Unchecking the client (use the server's keyboard...) menu>edit>settings>Enable Auto Config box allowed the connection to be completed.

Edited by Bob McRae