Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mouse cursor moving at different speeds based on direction

Caolan Radford
I have two PC's, a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 10. When the Windows 7 PC is the server, everything works great. BUT when the Windows 10 laptop is the server, I get a very strange issue that I'm not even sure how to describe: When the mouse cursor is being used on the client's PC, the cursor's sensitivity is roughly double when the mouse is being moved up along it's X axis, and about half the speed when it's being moved downwards along the X axis. Very annoying when try to accurately click on stuff. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a common problem? Anyone seen anything like this? Am I describing it properly? I couldn't find anything about this on Google, I feel like there is an obvious solution, but I just don't know how to ask the right question.
Todd Naquin
my mouse on the client is doing almost the same. When i move right or down i get jitter, slow, or no movement at all. I assume it's related to what you are experiencing. No fix found so far.
Jon Privatt
I have the same issue. Moving the mouse up and down on the CLIENT screen doesn't move as smoothly as it does on the SERVER screen. Same screens, same make/model of mice, same resolution. My new monitors (2560x1440) have just accentuated the issue for some reason; maybe it was always there but the tighter pixels make it more noticeable. Seems as if the mouse needs to move a lot to get it to transfer the data, like there is a low threshold that needs to be exceeded before the mouse will start to move. Very very annoying. I've had to switch back to using the native mouse on each machine instead of using Synergy because it jerks around too much. Is there going to be a fix for this? Thanks! Jon.
  • 2 months later...
Robbe Sneyders

Same problem here. Mouse goes really slow when moving down or right. If I move slow in these directions, the pointer doesn't move at all. It made me think of the "Enhance pointer precision" feature on windows, but turning it off didn't help.

Server: Dell XPS 15 windows 10

Client: ASUS N55SF ubuntu 16.04

The problem does not occur when I switch server and client.

• 2 weeks later...
Tyler Durham

Similar problem to everyone's, except when I move the cursor from the server->client. The mouse will get stuck on the client side on the edge of the monitor for about a second then move just fine. Going from client->server, no issues. I upgraded from 14.04->16.04 Ubuntu and that's when this started happening.

Client: Ubuntu 16.04

Server: Win7

Petri Sirkkala

I have no idea why, but after running Windows Updates (the ones that make Windows 10 butt ugly again, some anniversary or something) the mouse started to behave correctly again.

My set up is OSX 10.12 as a server and Win 10 version 1607.

-Pete

Petri Sirkkala
I have no idea why, but after running Windows Updates (the ones that make Windows 10 butt ugly again, some anniversary or something) the mouse started to behave correctly again.

My set up is OSX 10.12 as a server and Win 10 version 1607.

-Pete

Unfortunately that was not permanent. The issue returned after a while.

Kevin Shackelford

Seems I am having similar issue. Moving horizontally mouse hangs or drags moving vertically it is smooth. I also having an issue with SSL connection between client and server. Client would drop with an SSL error in the log. I disabled and no drops but slow and laggy horizontal movement.

Maarten Goldstein

I am having this same issue now that I've updated to MacOS Sierra. The mouse behaves very strangely on Windows 7 (client) but fine on the Mac (server). An upgrade to 1.8.3 did not fix this, nor does the mouse smoothing option have any effect on this. It's really quite annoying.

I am also experiencing this issue, updating to 1.8.3 hasn't helped.

I use OSX as server, windows 10 as client.

After updating to Sierra from El Capitan on my mac (mid 2014 15" rMBP) I experienced the weird mouse movement speeds on the windows client, however only when using an external mouse connected to my mac. When using the internal trackpad of my mac the mouse movements on the windows PC is fine.

The mouse movements are a total pain, synergy is totally unusable when experiencing the issue. I rely on an external mouse connected to my mac to control my windows pc and have had to downgrade back to El Capitan just to keep synergy happy.

Experimented with different synergy versions, SSL, various other tweaks in the program with no success

Dallas Gutauckis

Began seeing this issue after upgrading my server to Sierra (client was previously already on Sierra with no issue). This is making Synergy almost unusable. The cursor when on the client moves faster up and to the left than it does down and to the right, meaning pointer accuracy is completely thrown off when controlling the client.

Brian Feller

I am also having this issue. I just updated my server to Sierra. The client has been Sierra since the release.

When using the mouse on the server computer, it is perfect. When using the mouse on the client, it travels at double the speed/distance going up than it does going down. I am constantly picking up my mouse and moving it to the bottom of my mousepad.

I can almost not use Synergy now...

Jourdan Laik
I am also having this issue. I just updated my server to Sierra. The client has been Sierra since the release.

When using the mouse on the server computer, it is perfect. When using the mouse on the client, it travels at double the speed/distance going up than it does going down. I am constantly picking up my mouse and moving it to the bottom of my mousepad.

I can almost not use Synergy now...

Brian, I am having the exact same issue. I've raised a support ticket and have heard back that they're aware it's a bug. No response on when it'll be fixed though. And yes, it is very annoying.

I have exactly the same issue

I am also experiencing this issue, updating to 1.8.3 hasn't helped.

I use OSX as server, windows 10 as client.

After updating to Sierra from El Capitan on my mac (mid 2014 15" rMBP) I experienced the weird mouse movement speeds on the windows client, however only when using an external mouse connected to my mac. When using the internal trackpad of my mac the mouse movements on the windows PC is fine.

The mouse movements are a total pain, synergy is totally unusable when experiencing the issue. I rely on an external mouse connected to my mac to control my windows pc and have had to downgrade back to El Capitan just to keep synergy happy.

Experimented with different synergy versions, SSL, various other tweaks in the program with no success