Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Warning: failed to connect to server : Timed out

J Nathan
Hey, would really appreciate some help. So basically, Im running two systems, a desktop PC and a laptop. The desktop can connect to a 5ghz wireless network while the laptop can only run on the 2.4ghz network. I set up like normal and it finds I have another system connected to synergy but it keeps showing " Warning: failed to connect to server : Timed out". The desktop is the server and the laptop is the client. Ive checked out other posts restarted the service and even reinstalled the whole thing and disabled the firewall and enabled it. No luck. Oh I've also tried changing ports and typing the server IP manually. HOWEVER when I connect to the desktop PC to the 2.4ghz wireless network, I can connect by using the laptop as the host and PC as the client but other way round, which is confusing me very much. Much appreciated if I can get some help :) Edit. Now after a while it says "Warning: failed to connect to server : no route to host" but then if i restart host server it says Warning: failed to connect to server : Timed out" again. Now I can use laptop as server and it runs and connects but however while i run desktop pc as sever on 5ghz network it does not work.
Alexander Harris
One thing to check is the segregation of the different wifi networks on your router settings. Sometimes the router will have an option that will keep different wifi networks isolated from one another (sometimes called "guest network" or "guest mode") etc. The idea is that you can have multile wifi networks, say one for your family computers and one for guests or visitors etc. If these are segregated, visitors can't then access your home pc's. In your setup however it sounds like these different wifi access points should be bridged, so check your router settings and see if there are options there to allow connections between computers on the different networks.
  • 4 weeks later...
Bert Bruijns
i experience the problem that when i connect my tablet to a different router in my own network, that after a few seconds synergy says: server is dead and it jumps back, BUT when i connect the tablet to the same router (with wifi) as the synergy server pc there is no problem at all. anybody have tips on how to bridge or whatever its called both routers ? they are fritz boxes