Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Bug: Synergy breaks multiple hotkey programs

Ryan Anstey
Synergy is breaking multiple programs with hotkey support. Mainly hotkeys that involve keyboard combos like Ctrl/Win/Alt/etc +something. Solution is usually to disable elevated mode, but I already have that disabled. It seems that the service that runs at Windows startup is running elevated until I stop and start it which solves the problem. Steps to reproduce: - Have Synergy 1.7.6 installed on Windows 10 PC - Reboot This breaks keyboard shortcut style hotkeys (but not others) for: - Logitech SetPoint 6.67.83 (latest version at the time of this post) - AutoHotKey (AHK) (whatever the latest version is at the time of this post) Steps to fix: - Stopping and restarting Synergy via the GUI
Kym Schuur
Yep very annoying - breaks Greenshot hotkey and most of the other hotkey apps I've tried running on the server too. Synergy Windows 10, v1.7.6 Same fix is to stop and restart.
  • 2 weeks later...
Alexander Shenkin
Yep, same problem here (with greenshot specifically). Would be very nice to get a fix for this. Running Synergy 1.7.6 on Win 7 x64.
  • 2 months later...
John Holmstadt

I am also seeing this on Windows 10 64bit. Quite a frustrating bug as it took me months to figure out what was stealing hotkey control from my programs (AutoHotKey, Lightshot, and ArsClip). I initially thought it was either a bug in Windows 10, or some new lockdown of hotkeys built into Windows 10.

I've found a workaround, which is to restart the "Synergy" service. Once it is restarted, all my programs regain hotkey control. I made a shortcut that sits in my Startup folder which kicks this off shortly after login. Example command:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "echo 'Waiting 60 seconds to restart Synergy service...' && ping 127.0.0.1 -n 61 > nul && net stop Synergy & net start Synergy"

You'll want to make sure this runs as Administrator (Right-click shortcut, Properties, Shortcut tab, Advanced, check "Run as Administrator"). You might also want to have this run minimized on startup to stay out of your way.

• 2 weeks later...