Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

SSL Errors

Robert Beban
I upgraded Synergy to 1.7.1 today (I'm on Mac OS 10.10.3) and now I cannot connect anymore. In the console on my server I see: ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:ssl23_write:ssl handshake failure ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL FWIW, when I tried to start up the client, I seemed to get stuck on downloading a plugin. The name was "ns" and it never resolved. After hours of waiting, I moved on from that and tried to connect, whereupon I started getting the errors mentioned above. Now, when I restart the app I cannot find how to attempt the plugin download again. Please help, thank you.
Jacob Zeeman
I'm having the same errors as soon as I installed 1.7.1. I did not get stalled at a downloading plugin screen mine said plugin installed successfully however I cannot connect my client to my server. Here's the start of the error message: ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL ERROR: an EOF violates the protocol ERROR: failed to accept secure socket INFO: client connection may not be secure ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140780E5:SSL routines:ssl23_read:ssl handshake failure INFO: accepted secure socket ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:ssl23_write:ssl handshake failure ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:ssl23_write:ssl handshake failure etc Please help. Thanks, Jake
Michael Key
[quote="Jacob Zeeman"]I'm having the same errors as soon as I installed 1.7.1. I did not get stalled at a downloading plugin screen mine said plugin installed successfully however I cannot connect my client to my server. Here's the start of the error message: ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL ERROR: an EOF violates the protocol ERROR: failed to accept secure socket INFO: client connection may not be secure ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140780E5:SSL routines:ssl23_read:ssl handshake failure INFO: accepted secure socket ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:ssl23_write:ssl handshake failure ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:ssl23_write:ssl handshake failure etc Please help. Thanks, Jake[/quote] Same Here!! I upgraded and all works accept when I try and enable SSL!
Renee Cinco
I am having same error, installed updated Synergy on Mac OSX 10.10.3, getting same error message. Tried to remove this version and reinstall older version but that didn't work either. Please help!
Gianluca Carminati
Same error here: [b]Linux Server:[/b] ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:SSL23_WRITE:ssl handshake failure ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL [b]Win7 Client:[/b] ERROR: failed to verify server certificate fingerprint ERROR: failed to launch, error: process immediately stopped
Huw Thomas
Exactly the same issue here too. ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:ssl23_write:ssl handshake failure How do you disable SSL so I can get control back again?
Huw Thomas
I just had a mess about on my ubuntu computer which is the slave and it popped up asking me to accept the finger print. It now all works. So the error is something to do with accepting the servers SSL fingerprint I believe. Hope that helps people in some way.
Jacob Zeeman
More information from me: My server is an iMac, my client is a Windows 7 laptop. On the windows 7 Laptop i see an option for "Use SSL encryption" that is greyed out. And I can't seem to get to the same settings screen on the iMac. I did just upgrade to the new release 1.7.2 and no change in behaviour. I haven't seen any pop ups about fingerprints or anything. I also went and installed Cygwin on the Windows 7 laptop as per the FAQ no help there either. UPDATE: So I just fixed the issue, it seems that when I tried to register the client it didn't take, I went through the wizard again and activated the product again. This time the Use SSL checkbox is not greyed out, and I got the pop up about accepting a finger print. All good now. Jake
Gianluca Carminati
I had this feedback from the support: "We have discovered that this tends to happen if there is a bunch of data in the clipboard. Try clearing it out (just copy a single letter or something) and see if it still happens." Still I see the issues, and with 1.7.2 I cannot redo the wizard cause the ns plugin is hold from the Synergy service on Win7. Even manually stopping the service and redoing the wizard is not helping.. Please advise! Edited by Guest
Marshall Worth
I am having similar SSL connectivity issues but different error. ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140D00CF:SSL routines:SSL_write:protocol is shutdown NOTE: accepted client connection INFO: accepted secure socket NOTE: new client disconnected ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140D00CF:SSL routines:SSL_write:protocol is shutdown
Ben Kietzman
Running the server on Ubuntu Linux 15.04 (64-bit) and the client on Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). Upgraded both installations to version 1.7.2. Received the following error on the server: ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: error:140780E5:SSL routines:SSL23_READ:ssl handshake failure Turned off SSL and began receiving the following error on the client (sorry I don't have the full error anymore): failed to load plugin: ns.dll is not a valid win32 application Ended up working around the issue by leaving version 1.7.2 installed on the server and downgrading to version 1.6.3 on the client. Looks like the Microsoft Windows version might have a bug related to the ns.dll library. I will try upgrading the client version at the next release and see if things are better.
Dave Rowe
This worked for me. Thanks! [quote="Gianluca Carminati"]I had this feedback from the support: "We have discovered that this tends to happen if there is a bunch of data in the clipboard. Try clearing it out (just copy a single letter or something) and see if it still happens." Still I see the issues, and with 1.7.2 I cannot redo the wizard cause the ns plugin is hold from the Synergy service on Win7. Even manually stopping the service and redoing the wizard is not helping.. Please advise![/quote]
Gianluca Carminati
[quote="Ben Kietzman"] Ended up working around the issue by leaving version 1.7.2 installed on the server and downgrading to version 1.6.3 on the client. Looks like the Microsoft Windows version might have a bug related to the ns.dll library. I will try upgrading the client version at the next release and see if things are better. [/quote] But the v1.6.3 (synergy-1.6.3-stable-9706252-Windows-x64) doesn't have the SSL, just the password protected encryption...
Eric Englebretson
Clearing the clipboard on my OS X client and my Windows "server" allowed the OS X client to display the fingerprint message and now everything seems to be working fine.
Dominic DeWolfe
have ssl issues as well DEBUG: loading plugin: libns.so ERROR: failed to load plugin: libns.so FATAL: An error occurred: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /home/dewolfe/.synergy/plugins/libns.so) NOTE: stopping synergy desktop process this is on Linux on upgrade to 1.7.2
Dominic DeWolfe
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit. Been using Synergy for years..first time I have ever had an issue.
Alan Harris
I get similar issue on Mint 17 as my server: DEBUG: loading plugin: libns.so ERROR: failed to load plugin: libns.so DEBUG1: caught cancel on thread 0x00000002 FATAL: An error occurred: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory NOTE: stopping synergy desktop process Stopping SSL is only a workaround for the moment. So what's the fix? --------------------UPDATE ----------------------------------------------------- I later found that if I used Linux Mint 17 as Client or server I got crashes and deselecting SSL in SETTINGS did not fix the problem. I then did some more digging and found, as reported by others, that Mint 17 and 17.1 is still using the old SSL v1.0.1f build. :geek: Take a look in this forum post : [url]http://synergy-project.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=138[/url] and rebuild your SSL system. The code in the first post worked fine for me so it was obviously edited by Speaker after the later comments. Now have it all working! :D
Gianluca Carminati
The debug2 trick, triggered the popup! [url]https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/4626[/url]
Ihor Romanyshyn
Synergy server can't connect to client randomly. I created logs by copying text from log area of the window, because /var/log/synergy.log doesn't exist. See the attachment. P.S.: What's wrong with the forum? I posted this message at 11 may 2015, but it shows 06 may 2015.
Kelvin DSouza
Didnt work for me, - Tried running wizard - didn't work (get a message about fingerprint acceptance and then crashes) - Tried system restart - didn't work - Tried disabling encryption - didn't work Nothing seems o be working at this time, Clueless what the next steps are. I'm running Win7 on Server and client. [quote="Dave Rowe"]This worked for me. Thanks! [quote="Gianluca Carminati"]I had this feedback from the support: "We have discovered that this tends to happen if there is a bunch of data in the clipboard. Try clearing it out (just copy a single letter or something) and see if it still happens." Still I see the issues, and with 1.7.2 I cannot redo the wizard cause the ns plugin is hold from the Synergy service on Win7. Even manually stopping the service and redoing the wizard is not helping.. Please advise![/quote][/quote]
Dana Nickerson
Same problem with Linuxmint 17.1. FATAL: An error occurred: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Don't have time to building a new openssl so going back to synergy-1.6.1-master-afa24f4-Linux-x86_64