Hello! ๐Ÿ‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy & Photoshop Issue

Scott Thornton
Good Morning, I'm having an issue with my Synergy and Photoshop, but firstly, let me explain my setup. I have my "Work-PC" set up as my Server, which is where i am trying to use Photoshop. It uses all default server settings as far as i am aware (i haven't changed anything). I then have my personal laptop (Macbook, running windows 10 via Bootcamp) which is set up as a client to share my work-pc's mouse and keyboard. I solely use my laptop to email the missus during work, and to play music from Spotify. (I have a very laid back job :P) [b]The actual issue:[/b] Basically, whenever Synergy is running, i cannot use Photoshop properly. I can launch it, and do most tasks (open, save, access any menu, select any tool), the only issue is, i cannot click and drag anything within photoshop, for example, when cropping, i cannot drag the crop boundaries. I cannot drag the Marquee tool over anything i wish to select, and i cannot drag my layers around on my canvas. To resolve, i simply open task manager and kill "synergys.exe", and when i have finished whatever i'm doing in photoshop, i then have to open services.msc, find synergy, restart the service, and then relaunch synergy... You can imagine how annoying and tedious that gets when i have to create several small icons each day. (I'm a Front End Software Developer..) As a side note, I have not always had this issue. It just randomly started one day, and after a few hours of trying to figure out what was happening.. I had got no where.. then our router crashed, and i lost internet connectivity, which in turn caused Synergy to stop responding, and all of a sudden my photoshop was working again.. thats how i found the issue. It is also worth mentioning, that when i first installed synergy, on both devices, it was a massive headache. Using separate installers downloaded from the synergy site, it installed fine, but when launched, it stated that a DLL was missing, so i had to tear apart the installer, and manually add the missing DLL's into the install directory. There were 4 in total. Not sure if it is related, as i had no issues at first. Can anyone suggest a way to fix this? Could it be an incorrect port or something? I'm stumped.
Scott Thornton
Just for the sanity of some people too, i'd like to point out it isn't "by Scott Thornton ยป Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:32 am". It's currently 09:36am where i am lol.
Scott Thornton
Issue Resolved - Got an email this morning to update to v1.7.6-stable which appears to have resolved this. Thanks for everyone's inputs & suggestions... *sarcasm*
Richard Tracy
Is this issue fixed with build 1.8.0-beta-4ff3cdd? I still haev the issue where I cannot zoom (using key ctrl+shift+scrol). Thanks
Peter White
+1 Yesterday I wasted at least an hour pulling my hair out as to why I couldn't use the most basic tool in PhotoShop: the rectangular selection tool. Some tools worked and some tools didn't. So I deactivated PhotoShop, uninstalled, reinstalled and reactived and the problem was still there. I only found out that Synergy was the root cause of the problem when I also ran into issues with Picasa: the Shift and Ctrl keys couldn't be used to select multiple objects while Synergy was running in Server mode, as per these posts on the Google forums from 2012: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... GtdOBuE7sJ Stopping Synergy solved both the PhotoShop and Picasa issues immediately. To make this even more complicated, now that I've restarted Synergy after stopping for a few hours both PhotoShop and Picasa are working ok. Maybe the problem is only observed after the first start of Synergy after a reboot? Will check the order of application loading when I next reboot and see the problem.
Peter White
As well as the conflicts with PhotoShop and Picasa above, there is an additional keyboard conflict with iTunes for Windows: while Synergy Server is running can't press Ctrl-A to Select All. Stopping Synergy resolves the issue. I'm running Synergy 1.7.6 on Windows 10 64bit.
  • 1 month later...
Duncan Clee
Thank you for this thread!!!! Keyboard wierdnesses in Photoshop detailed here sounded so similar to the problems in Cubase that have been doing my head in for days, that I thought it was worth shutting a persistent Synergy process down. It worked!!! and I am now the happiest man alive :D This has highlighted behaviour of Synergy that I wasn't aware of: that if you don't manually shut the server down, it will reappear after restart. That persistent Synergy process had been puzzling me for a while but there is no means within Synergy to stop it autostarting with Windows. So I ended up here to get an answer and accidentally found an answer to my greater woes. Maybe the devs here could leave the taskbar icon visible when the server is running, even when the window is closed. Then it would have been obvious. Anyway, just wanted to share this moment of serendipity with you all... 1.7.6 on Win10 Edited by Guest
Duncan Clee
[quote="Duncan Clee"]I am now the happiest man alive :D [/quote] Well, not quite... Even after shutting the server down and restarting Windows, there is still synergyd.exe running in the Windows Task Manager. Surely this can't be right. Off should mean off. At least that pesky synerygs.exe hasn't reappeared and Cubase is still working. Let's hope this doesn't become a nuisance...
Robert Levy
[quote="Josh Langford"]I'm running 1.76 and having all the same Photoshop issues on the Server PC.[/quote] Version 1.7.6 has not solved my issue described in posts above. I also cannot select in Word by mouse click and drag. (What a drag) Stopping Synergy fixes the problem, I would appreciate a real fix though. Any suggestions appreciated. Currently Running Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Photoshop CC 2015.1.2 Release and same in Photoshop CS6, Office 365 Business Version 15.0.4815.1002, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with NVIDIA Driver Version 358.87. Three LG 34UC97-S 34" UltraWide QHD Curved LED Backlit LCD Monitor. OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 RL
Duncan Clee
Right... Dunno what's going on here but 1.7.6 has started working! I had decided to revert to 1.7.5 and everything was fine with Cubase. So I re-updated to 1.7.6, just to make sure, and Cubase was still working! Even after a restart. But I still think something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Re-installing reminded me that the installation bug caused by Comodo, where several dlls don't get copied across and have to be extracted manually, may be the cause of the problem. Not only is there this bug - which I think really should have been sorted out by now - but the file libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is mis-named (*_1.dll) in the msi and has been for two versions now! I wonder if I inadvertently made a partial update. Some of those dlls have different date-stamps between versions but because the filename is the same launching the updated program may not have picked up the error. I might even have extracted libgcc_s_dw2_1.dll but forgotten to rename it and launching didn't throw an error because there was still a file called libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, albeit from a previous version. Do all the people here run Comodo and so suffer from this install bug?