Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Swapping Modifier Keys on the Mac

Michael Kingsbury
I have a PC/Mac setup, with a PC keyboard. The Alt and Command/Windows keys are physically swapped on a Mac keyboard and a PC keyboard, and I normally setup in System Preferences to swap the Alt & Command keys. It doesn't appear that such swapping affects the keyboard when the input is coming from Synergy. Can you take a look at the 'Modifier Keys' dialog under Keyboard on the Mac, and see if you can support the same functionality from the Synergy Client? thanks -mike
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Roberto Afonso Brazil

This would really help me too. I use an old keyboard, pre-Win95 - so I'm stuck with no Windows key.

I can never use Command when switching to my Mac, unless I keep Apple's keyboard around :roll:

I've also tried using Karabiner, but no dice. It recognizes the Control_L input, but changing its configuration does nothing at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Anthony Cary

You can do this in the server configuration.

Open configuration on your server PC with the "Configure Server..." button.

On the "Screens and links" tab, double-click the Mac OS X client.

On the right-hand side, you'll see a Modifier Keys section. For Ctrl:, choose Super from the drop-down; likewise for Super, choose Ctrl from the drop-down.

After clicking okay, you'll need to stop and restart Synergy on your server PC.

• 2 months later...
Patrick Grogan

This no longer seems to work on Mac 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I can't change the modifier keys. Since I switch between mac and PC this is causing headaches.

• 4 weeks later...
Brian Jensen
This no longer seems to work on Mac 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I can't change the modifier keys. Since I switch between mac and PC this is causing headaches.

Having the same issue. Mac is server, PC is client. Trying to swap Super and Ctrl on client PC. Modifier keys don't seem to work. Used synergy years ago and just bought it because it was the best product out there. Would really love a fix for this or at least an acknowledgement of this bug. Anyone here know of an alternative to Synergy that functions properly?

• 1 year later...

I just ran into this issue today, and it works fine in Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra with the config that Anthony Cary suggested. This is a necro post but it was the top hit on Google so I figured an update couldn't hurt.

• 1 year later...

So this seems to be an issue for years? I bought the basic version today and I cannot change the modifier keys.

My server is a windows 10 computer and client is a MacBook Pro with Mojave installed.

Are you planning to change it? Otherwise it seems to be a awesome software to me.