Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Weird key mapping/language issue with Synergy

Marcus1491393327

Marcus1491393327
I've noticed this since about version 1.7 now, it seems like when the client is a Mac the normal letter keys are mapped weirdly. For example, I've got two different servers, one is running Ubuntu 14.04 and another Windows 10 (both are using Synergy 1.7.5). The client is a 13" rMBP running on OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 (also on Synergy version 1.7.5). Typing in 'qwerty' on the server keyboard results in 'qrkefh' on the client side. All other keys are fine. The language setting on the servers are English US and on the client it is Australian. I have tried switching the language and keyboard settings back to US but that does not change things. Switching the keyboard to something weird like the COLEMAK layout makes the letter keys respond correctly but makes the symbol and number rows switch roles (i.e. pressing 1 returns ! but pressing SHIFT+1 returns 1).
Hey Marcus thank you for this detailed info, When you write "the language setting" I'm unsure whether you are referring to the setting in Synergy or the OS. I hope that you will tell us the exact language names appearing in: - the server OS's settings - the server's Synergy GUI (in "Edit" -> "Settings" -> "Language:" - the client OS's settings - the client's Synergy We can re-map keys to characters, but it probably isn't necessary. The issue may be lack of agreement between Synergy and OS settings. - Brian
Marcus1491393327
Hi Brian, These are the keyboard settings for OS/Synergy: 1. Windows 10 - English (Australia) US Keyboard / English 2. Mac OS X 10.11 - Australian / English I have tried combinations of; English (United States) US Keyboard and English (United Kingdom) United Kingdom Keyboard on Windows 10 and U.S. on OS X but they all result in qwerty outputting qrkefh
Huh, that is interesting. Probably we should find out what your hardware keyboard is exactly, what is the make/model? Whatever language the keyboard is designed for, does this issue go away when OS and Synergy language setting on each computer is selected for that language? I tried but didn't find any information about keyboards which output qrkefh for qwerty keys. - Brian
Marcus1491393327
Yeah, I couldn't find a standard language/keyboard layout that outputted qrkefh either. The keyboard itself is an Apple keyboard, the ones that used to come with iMacs and it is a English US layout keyboard which I have been using pretty much ever since I started using synergy so the only things that've changed really are the updates to Synergy 1.7.x, and the updates to OSX The workaround that I've found so far is setting the OSX keyboard setting to something else (such as choosing the COLEMAK layout). When that is selected, the letter keys are fine but the number keys are reversed (as in I type 1 and it outputs !, to get 1 I have to type in SHIFT+1)
Marcus1491393327
Its the Apple keyboard: [url]http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-english-usa?fnode=56[/url]
The site doesn't give the model #, or enough specifications info to determine what keyboard layouts are compatible. Is there no printed info (that might reveal a model # or name) on the bottom of the keyboard? Also, I asked but never found out what language selections you have tried in the OS and Synergy GUI on each computer. When two computers are involved, there are 4 settings to talk about: the language selected in each OS, and the language selected in each Synergy. Would you mind telling us what settings combinations you have tried, and what happened in each case? Like this: - language in server OS: - language in server Synergy: - language in client OS: - language in client Synergy: - exact problems encountered in this case: ...etc... If you're using a language setting somewhere that is incompatible with the keyboard, then that is your problem and it won't get fixed by updating Synergy. I realize you did not always have this issue, but it could still be an OS X issue or something that can be fixed by making a different language choice. - Brian
Marcus1491393327
Hi Brian, I did give the info you asked for. Maybe you missed it? I wrote it as: OS language setting<space>keyboard setting<slash>synergy language setting On Windows 10 (server): Country/Region = Australia Windows Display Language = English (Australia) Keyboards = US QWERTY Synergy language = English On Mac OS X (client): Language&Region >Preferred languages = English - Primary >Region = Australia Keyboard >Input Sources = Australian Synergy language = English With regards to the keyboard model, all I've been able to get so far is that its model number is A1243 and its order number is MD110LL/A. It seems to be a US QWERTY model. [quote="Marcus"]Hi Brian, These are the keyboard settings for OS/Synergy: 1. Windows 10 - English (Australia) US Keyboard / English 2. Mac OS X 10.11 - Australian / English I have tried combinations of; English (United States) US Keyboard and English (United Kingdom) United Kingdom Keyboard on Windows 10 and U.S. on OS X but they all result in qwerty outputting qrkefh[/quote] [list]Things tried [*][b]SERVER[/b]: Windows Display Language = English (United States) Keyboards = US QWERTY Synergy language = English [b]CLIENT[/b]: Language&Region >Preferred languages = English >Region = Australia Keyboard >Input Sources = U.S. Synergy language = English outcome: qwerty outputs as qrkefh / 12345 outputs as 12345 [/*:m] [*][b]SERVER[/b]: Windows Display Language = English (Australia) Keyboards = US QWERTY Synergy language = English [b]CLIENT[/b]: Language&Region >Preferred languages = English >Region = Australia Keyboard >Input Sources = DVORAK Synergy language = English outcome: qwerty outputs qwerty / 12345 outputs !@#$%[/*:m][/list:u] Note that changing the language settings on the server does not seem to make any difference, only changes to the client seem to work.
  • 2 weeks later...
Denis Cappellin
I have a similar problem, because when I type "space" on server I see "z" on client. [b]Server[/b]: Windows 10 Pro (64bit) Region: Italian Language: Italian Synergy language: Italian Keyboard: Apple 1016 Bluetooth (Italian layout) [b]Client[/b] Mac OS X 10.11.3 Region: Italian Language: Italian Synergy language: Italian Every time I press the "space bar" I see a "z" in OS X. Is there a workaround? I tried the opposite OS X is server and Windows is client, then space is fine, but some other keys are not mapped. Thanks
Brady Stewart
I have the same issue and rebooting the client fixes it sometimes. It'´s becoming so annoying that I will have to ditch it soon altogether. I work in IT and having this issue means my command inputs are wrong causing lots of hassle. For example the two below are from the server and then the client: server: Administrator client: Ádmínístrátór Is there a fix?
  • 5 months later...
Marcus1491393327
This issue still persists in the latest stable release of Synergy (1.8.2). To recap: Typing 'qwerty' on the server (Windows 10, English, Synergy 1.8.2) results in 'qrkefh' on the client (Mac OS X 10.11, English, Synergy 1.8.2). In the interim when the issue was first reported, I have reformatted the Win 10 computer, changed keyboards and updated Synergy. None of them seems to have fixed this issue, nor can I find a workaround except to change the client keyboard to some weird language.

Hi there,

I´m having the same issue (When pressing Space it gets replaced by a "s" in my client machine). My language is Spanish and I´ve already tried to change language settings in both client and server, both machines OS (both are running Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan), both configured in English (US) and using an Spanish-layout wired Apple keyboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Marcus1491393327

I can confirm that this particular issue is solved in the latest version of Synergy (1.8.3). I've updated both server and client and they are working as expected now.

• 11 months later...