Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Print screen support from Mac server

John Kramer
I have a Mac (OS X El Capitan 10.11.1) as a server and a Windows 10 (64-bit) connected as a client. Everything works well, but is there any way I can get the Print Screen command to work my my Mac keyboard? I have a full keyboard with F13-F15, but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to cause the Print Screen command?
Yuya Fujiwara1491393133
in OS X terminal(I supposed OS X is your server of synergy) [code]xev[/code] Can you see something like as follows when you push F13~F15? [code] KeyPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x600001, root 0x111, subw 0x0, time 1745010881, (516,731), root:(720,1554), state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffcb, F14), same_screen YES, XLookupString gives 0 bytes: XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: XFilterEvent returns: False KeyRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x600001, root 0x111, subw 0x0, time 1745011010, (516,731), root:(720,1554), state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffcb, F14), same_screen YES, XLookupString gives 0 bytes: XFilterEvent returns: False [/code] (when you want to quit xev, press ctrl+C) If you receive something when you press F13 key, and if you found [code](keysym 0xffca, F13)[/code] in the message, it is easy to solve. Add the following line in [b]"section:options"[/b] in the configuration file of synergy. [code] keystroke(F13)=keystroke(Print) [/code] You can find examples of setting the configuration file. https://github.com/synergy/synergy/wiki ... ation_file (When you execute "File"->"Save configuration file as" in OS X menu bar, then synergy generate the configuration file. After you edit it, select "Use existing configuration" and "Browse" the file that you edited, then apply.) In my environment (the server is OS X, and clients are Fedora 22 and Windows 7. a keyboard which is not apple keyboard is connected to OS X ), keyboard have F1~F12, Ps/SR, ScLk, and Pa/Br keys. I couldn't receive any response when I push Ps/SR keys. [1] Turn off the option "Use all F1,F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in "system preference"->"keyboard" pane. [2] Install key remapping software I use "karabiner". In this application, turned on "Printscreen Key to F12" option. Now "Print Screen" key turned to be "F12" key. If you familiar with other keyremap app of OS X, please find same option. [3]Add line in "section:options" of conflation file, [code] keystroke(F12)=keystroke(Print) [/code] F12 should be changed if you use a remap soft other than Karabiner. NOTE: Synergy will stopped when invalid options were added to the configuration file.
John Kramer
Thanks Yuya, I exported my config and manually edited the keystroke to: [code]keystroke(F12)=keystroke(Print)[/code] It doesn't work exactly like the Print Screen button, as it copies the current window (or desktop if selected) to the clipboard. It doesn't allow me to use the Win+PrintScreen combination to save the file as a PNG.
Yuya Fujiwara1491393133
I want to know whether "F13"( = "F12" = "PrintScreen" )key was recognised in the client machine. When you push F13 at the client machine, was entire region of display copied into the clipboard? To check it, (1)put cursor at the client (2)keystroke F13(=F12) (3)Paste contents of clipboard at the client app (ms paints). (If the client's clipboard holds a screenshot, sometimes it can not be transmitted into the server's clipboard. but it is different problem ) If the answer of my question were "yes", add lines: [code] keystroke(alt+F12)=keystroke(alt+Print) keystroke(super+F12)=keystroke(super+Print) [/code]
John Kramer
One mistake in my comment was I wrote F12 instead of F13. I'm using F13 for this. I added the Alt and Super, and they are working but backwards. So I changed them to this: [code]keystroke(F13) = keystroke(Print) keystroke(Alt+F13) = keystroke(Super+Print) keystroke(Super+F13) = keystroke(Alt+Print)[/code] Now it works like I would expect, Command+F13 = Win+PrintScreen and Option+F13 = Alt+PrintScreen. Thanks for all your help!
  • 8 months later...
John Kramer

So this was working, but as of the last 2 versions (1.8.3 - 1.8.4) I've noticed that the combination keystrokes have stopped working.

My F13 still works as the Print Screen, but I can no longer use the Alt or Super combinations...

Edit:

I found a weird solution that makes no sense. If I hit Command+F15 it equals Windows+PrnScr. I don't have anything set in my configuration for this, but it works!