Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Problems using Synergy with Games

James Ketner
I play world of warcraft, and have one account on my main screen (with keyboard and mouse,) and another on 2nd monitor connected to 2nd computer. When i move my mouse over it works fine but when i hit both mouse buttons down to run forwards it just spins in circles. I have tried putting the 2nd game in windows mode, and it still just does the same thing. Was wondering if anyone had any similar problems, or have any fixes. Thanks a alot p.s. I love Synergy! this is first downside i have found
  • 2 weeks later...
David Partington
Hi James, I've recently started having this issue as well in certain full screen/3d gaming applications. The mouse appears to want to do it's own thing and sends the view off spinning either looking at the floor/ceiling (depending on what I'm playing). I haven't found a fix for it yet, although it did only start occuring in the current build once I'd rebuilt my PC to install a new heatsink/fan so not sure what is going on there! Anyway just wanted to bump the issue regarding loss of mouse control with 3d full screen applications when using this otherwise great app. :) Cheers
  • 4 weeks later...
Just adding my 5p worth, i have found that in 90% of games i am having to stop synergy and that fixes most problems but its a right pain in the A, even iff you use scroll lock the mouse pointer will minimise windows on 2nd mouse button click, or you cannot walk forward using wasd keys this happens in blade and soul, battlefield 4, neverwinter to name just 3 hopefully there will be a better way of implementing this or someone will tell me i am doing everything wrong. i am using 2 dual monitor systems AA BB where BB is the server. and i play most games on that system while doing other things in other windows
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd like to try to t-shoot these issues, but there is a lot of info missing from all 3 of the posts. Would you mind letting us know these details so we can try to solve the issue?: * version of Synergy installed on each system? * version of OS on each system (please tell us ''Windows 7 Pro 64-bit'' not just ''Windows'', ''Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit'' not just ''Linux'') * any non-default Synergy settings * was SSL plugin enabled? was an alternate encryption method set up? * was Synegy in "elevated" mode (running as Admin in Windows, or as root in Mac/Linux)? * is issue intermittent? * are there any non-default mouse settings, or any additional mouse software other than Synergy? * have you checked that with directly-connected mouse, game works as you expect? * it may help to have Synergy logging level set to at least ''Debug1'' and to send us the log content covering the time of the issue I look forward to trying to solve this when there is more info! - Brian
  • 5 months later...
Michael Sparks
I am having this exact same issue. If I stop the Synergy service, the problem goes away immediately. * version of Synergy installed on each system? 1.7.5 * version of OS on each system (please tell us ''Windows 7 Pro 64-bit'' not just ''Windows'', ''Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit'' not just ''Linux'') Windows 10 Pro 64-bit * any non-default Synergy settings: No * was SSL plugin enabled? was an alternate encryption method set up? SSL turned on, no alternate encryption * was Synegy in "elevated" mode (running as Admin in Windows, or as root in Mac/Linux)? Yes * is issue intermittent? Nope, always present whenever Synergy is running. Goes away immediately when I click "Stop" * are there any non-default mouse settings, or any additional mouse software other than Synergy? No * have you checked that with directly-connected mouse, game works as you expect? Problem happens on Server with directly connected mouse * it may help to have Synergy logging level set to at least ''Debug1'' and to send us the log content covering the time of the issue. I can try and generate this. I have the spinning mouse issue in World of Warcraft. In Diablo 3, I can't hold down the mouse button to move. I have to constantly click the mouse to move. In Torchlight 2, as soon as I click anything in the game with the mouse, it stops working altogether. All these issues go away as soon as I stop Synergy. Multiple other games are affected as well.
Doug Carter
I identified today that the recently installed Synergy was causing my Dungeon and Dragons Online client view to spin uncontrollably when I tried to hold down the right mouse button to pan my view. I turned off the Synergy service and the problem went away. This happens without any connection to another system, or with the Synergy Pro software running. * version of Synergy installed on each system? 1.7.6 * version of OS on each system? Windows 10 Home 64-bit * any non-default Synergy settings? No * was SSL plugin enabled? Yes Was an alternate encryption method set up? No * was Synegy in "elevated" mode? Unsure * is issue intermittent? Constant * are there any non-default mouse settings, or any additional mouse software other than Synergy? - SteelSeries Engine 3 (plus Logitech Gaming Software for keyboard and Razer Synapse for gamepad) * have you checked that with directly-connected mouse, game works as you expect? Issue is on a desktop with direct mouse input / no other Synergy connections active. * it may help to have Synergy logging level set to at least ''Debug1'' and to send us the log content covering the time of the issue There is no related logging output as no connections are made, and it happens without the Synergy Pro software running. It is the service triggered at start up which seems to be the cause of the problem. [2016-07-22T10:23:51] DEBUG: starting process [2016-07-22T10:23:51] DEBUG: screen resolution: 8640 3531 primary screen center: 1920 1080 [2016-07-22T10:23:51] INFO: starting server [2016-07-22T10:23:51] INFO: command: "C:/Program Files/Synergy/synergys.exe" -f --no-tray --debug DEBUG1 --name Doug-Desktop --ipc --stop-on-desk-switch --enable-drag-drop --enable-crypto --profile-dir "C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local" --log "C:/Program Files/Synergy/log/synergy.log" -c "C:/Users/Doug/AppData/Local/Temp/qt_temp.Hp2400" --address :24800 --res-w 8640 --res-h 3531 --prm-wc 1920 --prm-hc 1080 [2016-07-22T10:23:51] INFO: config file: C:/Users/Doug/AppData/Local/Temp/qt_temp.gq2400 [2016-07-22T10:23:51] INFO: log level: DEBUG1 [2016-07-22T10:23:51] INFO: log file: C:/Program Files/Synergy/log/synergy.log I do have a somewhat complicated screen set up with 4 monitors in a 2x2 pattern. The 2 lower monitors are both 4K and use scaling. The 2 higher monitors (mounted on a stand) are FHD. (I have other issues with getting the software to work, and other bugs seemingly introduced. I am looking at these individually.)
Julian Mielnikiewicz
Same issue here. Additionally there is no technical support available to paying customer :/ .If there was a way not to run it as service then problem would be sorted out immediately, kinda.
Laal Riahi Maxime
Good evening, I also have a problem with one game in particular which is Borderlands 3. When running synergy, I cannot move my character using the keyboard (it happens on the main screen). It is pretty weird because a year ago or so this game worked perfectly with synergy. * version of Synergy installed on each system? 1.7.5 * version of OS on each system (please tell us ''Windows 7 Pro 64-bit'' not just ''Windows'', ''Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit'' not just ''Linux'') Windows 10 Pro 64-bit * any non-default Synergy settings: No * was SSL plugin enabled? was an alternate encryption method set up? I believe that SSL was turned on, no alternate encryption * was Synegy in "elevated" mode (running as Admin in Windows, or as root in Mac/Linux)? No * is issue intermittent? Like Michel Sparks, No, it is always present whenever Synergy is running and goes away immediately when I quit Synergy * are there any non-default mouse settings, or any additional mouse software other than Synergy? Yes, the Roccat Tyon software * have you checked that with directly-connected mouse, game works as you expect? Here the mouse works ok, the keyboard is the issue, only for movement of my character, not for other actions. Thank you. Edit : Weirdly enough, I have used synergy while playing with my game today, and I had no problem. Unfortunatly, I don't know why. Edited by Guest
Tim Sebring
I also have these issues. In World of Warcraft, the screen spins uncontrollably, and in other games that require "Shift" to run (7 Days to Die, Hurtworld, and others) the shift key is totally unresponsive. In others, the ` (backtick) key is used for a console, and that doesn't work as well while the Synergy service is running. * version of Synergy installed on each system? 1.7.6 * version of OS on each system (please tell us ''Windows 7 Pro 64-bit'' not just ''Windows'', ''Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit'' not just ''Linux'') Windows 10 64 Bit (server), Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (client) * any non-default Synergy settings - None * was SSL plugin enabled? was an alternate encryption method set up? No SSL * was Synegy in "elevated" mode (running as Admin in Windows, or as root in Mac/Linux)? No elevated mode * is issue intermittent? No, happens constantly. * are there any non-default mouse settings, or any additional mouse software other than Synergy? None. * have you checked that with directly-connected mouse, game works as you expect? Mouse is directly connected to system running the game. * it may help to have Synergy logging level set to at least ''Debug1'' and to send us the log content covering the time of the issue -- I can do this if necessary.
  • 10 months later...

I am having this exact issue when playing Metro 2033 Redux. It only happens when Synergy is enabled. It seems to be a glaring problem to what is otherwise a very useful tool. Is there a fix for this?

• 4 weeks later...

Why are y'all using Synergy with video games? Why is this a glaring issue?

I'm having similar problems with Virtualization Environments, kind of interferes with productivity. I can't use the mouse inside VMs on the Synergy "server", but I can do so on the Synergy "client". I suspect it has to do with the applications fighting for control over the "boundaries" for the input device. (Ever had a game glitch when you moved your mouse while looking right, only to find the game spinning and your mouse cursor on your second monitor?)

Maybe try reversing which machine is hosting your mouse and keyboard?

29 minutes ago, MM310 said:

Why are y'all using Synergy with video games? Why is this a glaring issue?

I'm having similar problems with Virtualization Environments, kind of interferes with productivity. I can't use the mouse inside VMs on the Synergy "server", but I can do so on the Synergy "client". I suspect it has to do with the applications fighting for control over the "boundaries" for the input device. (Ever had a game glitch when you moved your mouse while looking right, only to find the game spinning and your mouse cursor on your second monitor?)

Maybe try reversing which machine is hosting your mouse and keyboard?

I'm not using Synergy with video games. I use a second machine for recording. So while I am in game, if I move my mouse (which controls camera in game) the same direction as I would to access my second machine, Synergy puts my mouse on my second machine and stops the action I was doing in game. It was not my intent to use it then and it doesn't matter if it's on fullscreen or borderless. The only real way to prevent this is to stop the server machine from accessing the client machine. There would be times where I really would need to access the second machine, so it can get a bit tedious having to start and stop Synergy. 

Would be great if they can add a hotkey to turn Synergy on and off. 

Paul Suarez
3 hours ago, MAgnus said:

I'm not using Synergy with video games. I use a second machine for recording. So while I am in game, if I move my mouse (which controls camera in game) the same direction as I would to access my second machine, Synergy puts my mouse on my second machine and stops the action I was doing in game. It was not my intent to use it then and it doesn't matter if it's on fullscreen or borderless. The only real way to prevent this is to stop the server machine from accessing the client machine. There would be times where I really would need to access the second machine, so it can get a bit tedious having to start and stop Synergy. 

Would be great if they can add a hotkey to turn Synergy on and off. 

Hi @MAgnus! I guess there could be two ways that you can prevent that from happening.

First is to check if you can lock your mouse scrolls (scroll lock) while you're on your game machine. This should prevent your mouse to jump in to your recording machine.

Second, you can set a one screen gap between your machines on your server's configuration interface (in the Hotkeys tab). Then, you can set hotkeys to switch screens while on the other one. I actually have my configuration set up that way. I use Alt+1 to jump from my client's screen to the server's screen and the other way around using Alt+2.

34 minutes ago, Paul Suarez said:

Hi @MAgnus! I guess there could be two ways that you can prevent that from happening.

First is to check if you can lock your mouse scrolls (scroll lock) while you're on your game machine. This should prevent your mouse to jump in to your recording machine.

Second, you can set a one screen gap between your machines on your server's configuration interface (in the Hotkeys tab). Then, you can set hotkeys to switch screens while on the other one. I actually have my configuration set up that way. I use Alt+1 to jump from my client's screen to the server's screen and the other way around using Alt+2.

Hey Paul. I'm not at home yet but I can actually picture how scroll lock might work. The second option sounds cool. I'll try both when I get home. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this problem for years. I didn't know about the Scroll Lock and had the locking action bound to Pause key, worked fine. But now I upgraded to Synergy 2 and neither Scroll Lock works (it locks the screen but doesn't fix the mouse) nor apparently there is a way to try to make your own binding, or to adjust any settings for that matter.

• 1 month later...

I am also having this issue. I am using the Linux box as the server and the mouse works on everything except when I try to look around, I can shoot and access all the menus just fine. I have two separate physical machines.

• 1 month later...

For Windows users I created a couple of .exe files that make is easy to start and stop the service when playing games. Simply open the exe file and it will pause the synergy service and open the other exe file to resume the service. 

Read the ReadMe file. Needs to 'Run as administrator' to work :) hope ya find this useful until there's an easy fix

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GoFBk49XlfRnkGsjFjwc0fBNkSmWBFix

• 7 months later...

Same problem here

I have a 3xPC config for synergy (all side by side with server on the center) all on Windows 10 64bits

I 'm used playing multi account on eve online or WoW and I need 2 additional mouse for the side PCs because the server mouse goes crazy (spin around in the game) when I switch to side PCs...

Bug happened since years, cannot say the starting version, but it's still happening for the latest version (I updated today) with v1.10.1 and nothing better...

If I'm not wrong the bug appears after version 1.4 (more or less) when you switch the app from simple process to a windows service (if that can help you)

But honestly now I'm a bit tired of that, I don't want a refund because it's a great software and you deserve it; but today after my update still not working of synergy, I'm going to test 'sharemouse' hoping it will work.

Thank you anyway for what you have done, and maybe see you another time.

so long...

• 11 months later...

Sadly I've got the exact same problem. Gap between screens didn't resolved anything for me. It's in World of warcraft as well, but some other game should have the problem as well.

Any solution support?

Jamie Newbon

I have seen this bug in World of warcraft myself without running synergy or having it installed. I found it had something to do with the mouse polling rate. when I lowered from 1000hz to 500hz the problem disappeared.

The problem only ever occurred when the camera was moving, the cursor itself never went crazy.

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, Jamie Newbon said:

I have seen this bug in World of warcraft myself without running synergy or having it installed. I found it had something to do with the mouse polling rate. when I lowered from 1000hz to 500hz the problem disappeared.

The problem only ever occurred when the camera was moving, the cursor itself never went crazy.

I have tried this and it doesn't work, ive also tried switching server computers around. It seems which ever computer that doesn't have the mouse plugged in spins outta control with world of warcraft.

On 12/30/2015 at 12:37 AM, James Ketner said:

I play world of warcraft, and have one account on my main screen (with keyboard and mouse,) and another on 2nd monitor connected to 2nd computer. When i move my mouse over it works fine but when i hit both mouse buttons down to run forwards it just spins in circles. I have tried putting the 2nd game in windows mode, and it still just does the same thing. Was wondering if anyone had any similar problems, or have any fixes. Thanks a alot p.s. I love Synergy! this is first downside i have found

Seems like this problem still hasn't been fixed