Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Quirks with OSX 10.10.3 update

Cory R. Starr
I had been using Synergy 1.7 between two 27" iMacs, with one running Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion. After the OSX 10.10.3 update several problems sprung up, ultimately requiring me to disable Synergy, and return to using a comparable plugin. 1) Following startup, the setup window would no longer close on its own - it normally closed itself once started. Manually closing it caused the Synergy icon to disappear from the Server's Menu bar. There is no apparent way to get the icon back - opening Synergy from the Finder does nothing (no Synergy window, no Synergy icon) 2) Often times when the Client awoke from sleep Synergy was stopped, requiring me to use the local trackpad to reactivate using the icon (the Client's icon would remain present in the Menu bar). This was very rare prior to the update. 3) If the Client awoke with Synergy running, the cursor was always "wild" - running at high speed. This would occasionally occur prior to the update, and was easily remedied by stopping and staring Synergy on the Server. However, without the Synergy icon or window restarting is not possible. 4) Copy and Paste had always been glitchy at best from the Server to the Client (apparently due to the VMWare Fusion), but was never glitchy from the Client to the Server. After the update it didn't work at all from the Client to the Server. It seems that once things start working well with a particular OSX, the following update undoes all the good stuff. Any thoughts on how to get Synergy functioning properly with OSX 10.10.3 - or am I the only one experiencing this? Thanks for your time, and knowledge!
Kelvin D. Olson
[quote]4) Copy and Paste had always been glitchy at best from the Server to the Client[/quote] ...[quote]or am I the only one experiencing this?[/quote] This is not an Apples to Apples comparison (sorry, I had to), but I have only one Mac (Synergy server), and the Synergy clients are Linux Mint 17 x64 and CentOS 6.5 x64. But - no - you're not the only one. I had become convinced that I had either inadvertently disabled clipboard integration Server->Client, or that it simply was not supported with my combination. But now that you say "glitchy at best", I have a vague recollection that I did actually see it work at least once. But mostly? No. However, the clipboard would move from (Linux) Client to (Mac) Server, in Synergy version 1.6.2 very reliably indeed. There are also some [b]quirks[/b] to the upgrade on Mac from 1.6.2 to 1.7.1. You can't just drag the icon over the Application folder and install it "the normal Apple way" and choose the [b]Replace[/b] button and expect it to work. Not if you have any of the security stuff in place on OS X. Synergy needs to be able to "Control your computer," and hence, it needs an item in this dialog... [img]https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/osx/security_preferences.png[/img] Well, Synergy [b]already[/b] had an item there. Yet, it kept popping this up every time I tried to launch the new Synergy... [img]https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/osx/control_prompt.png[/img] I figured out the trick. In the "Accessibility" area, highlight the existing (and allowed) Synergy icon, and click the minus button to remove (i.e. revoke permission from) Synergy. Then close the Security & Privacy dialog. THEN start Synergy again, get prompted to Open System Preferences, and this time you'll see a NEW Synergy icon that is as of yet un-checked. Grant the permission. NOW it will begin to work. It will probably still have "quirks"... I don't know. I had to un-install it and go back to 1.6.2 (repeating the shuffle above) for different reasons which I will discuss elsewhere.
Cory R. Starr
Thanks for your reply, Kelvin. I'll try completely removing and reinstalling Synergy; as you mentioned, there may be an installation issue. However, at this moment the other KM sharing utility is running flawlessly. so I'll probably leave things alone for the time being. Have a great week!
  • 8 months later...
[quote="Cory R. Starr"] 3) If the Client awoke with Synergy running, the cursor was always "wild" - running at high speed. This would occasionally occur prior to the update, and was easily remedied by stopping and staring Synergy on the Server. However, without the Synergy icon or window restarting is not possible. [/quote] I've had an "acceleration" problem with all the versions of Synergy that I've used so far (since sometime in 2014?). It happens after a wake up. It's not wild but just faster enough to be annoying. I've found that I have to stop and start both server and client to get connection back. This is between 2 macs (one running 10.10.5 and the other 10.9.5) both running Synergy 1.7.5 4) Copy and Paste had always been glitchy at best from the Server to the Client (apparently due to the VMWare Fusion), but was never glitchy from the Client to the Server. After the update it didn't work at all from the Client to the Server. [/quote] I don't know that I've gotten copy and paste to work at all. But to be honest, I've not spent much time on it yet.