VPN kills Synergy connection

Get help with connectivity problems.

VPN kills Synergy connection

Postby Adam Foisey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Greetings,
I have a 4 monitor (2 computer) setup, and the client computer connects to multiple VPNs throughout the day. Normally I don't have an issue with Synergy, but recently I started working with a company that uses a new VPN (Cisco Anyconnect), and when I connect to it, the Synergy connection between Server/Client gets terminated. If I disable the VPN, Synergy works again. Is there a way I can get around this issue? What information can I provide that will help come to a solution?

Re: VPN kills Synergy connection

Postby Angel Delgado » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:10 pm

Adam Foisey wrote:Greetings,
I have a 4 monitor (2 computer) setup, and the client computer connects to multiple VPNs throughout the day. Normally I don't have an issue with Synergy, but recently I started working with a company that uses a new VPN (Cisco Anyconnect), and when I connect to it, the Synergy connection between Server/Client gets terminated. If I disable the VPN, Synergy works again. Is there a way I can get around this issue? What information can I provide that will help come to a solution?

I have had the same issue. Unfortunately AnyConnect does not usually allow local network connection by default which is needed for Synergy to work. There is a AllowLocalLanAccess setting in Cisco AnyConnect that should help. However your Admin could have disable the option (Which was the case with my employer). I hope this helps!

Postby Jonathan Sparks » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:42 pm

This can be accomplished without the need for split tunneling on the VPN client. I posted my fix here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2000&p=6347#p6347

Postby Philip Hebert » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:37 pm

From experience with my own job. This can happen if both the VPN and your local network IP ranges are within the same IP range. For example:

My home network was: 10.40...
Work VPN was using: 10.0..

Once i changed my home network to: 192.168...
It started working fine.

Check both your computer IP and VPN IP, see if they are the same in such a way.

Return to Connectivity