Mouse laggy on wifi, works well on ethernet

If you can't figure out where else to post.

Mouse laggy on wifi, works well on ethernet

Postby Ahmet Arslan » Tue May 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just finished setting up my system, but I can't really use the mouse as it's just way too laggy.

My server is Win10 with latest updates, my client is macbook pro with El Capitan. If I connect through my 802.11 AC router, mouse is just laggy, but if I install my thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and use it, everything is perfect. At work ethernet is just not available, so this is not a good solution for long term.

Any suggestions, or tricks?

TIA!

Re: Mouse extremely laggy on WiFi, works OK on Ethernet

Postby snaptastic » Thu May 19, 2016 12:01 am

I've seen advice stating simply "don't use wifi" e.g. here:
http://superuser.com/questions/946201/synergy-lags-extremely-hard
I find this hard to believe. I can use remote desktop to share keyboard, mouse, AND stream the remote display with fairly smooth performance, over the same wifi connection. So how can it be that Synergy, when only forwarding keyboard and mouse information, can lag over the same connection?
This has to be a bug, where can I file a bug report?
(Edit: ok, to be fair, Remote Desktop is showing me a smoothed mouse location on my local screen, but the argument about data volume of the screen must still carry some weight!)

Postby Julian Menzler » Fri May 20, 2016 2:05 pm

I installed Synergy just a moment ago and so far I'm pretty disappointed.

I'm experiencing some severe lags for mouse and keyboard input. At this point Synergy is unusable.

My Host-System is an iMac 21,5" with 10.11
My Client-System is a Retina Macbook Pro 15" also with 10.11
Both systems have a stable Wifi-connection. Ethernet is not available.

When exchanging host- and client-roles I don't see any improvement.

Could anybody give me some advice?

Postby Julian Menzler » Fri May 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Ok, I pulled out a Thunderbolt Cable and set up a Thunderbolt Bridge between my Macs. With this setup the lags are gone.

But I expect Synergy to work fluently on Wifi as well as there are no Wifi-related restrictions listed on the product page. I bought Synergy with my Wifi-environment in mind.

Does anybody have a stable Wifi-Setup with a fluent mouse feedback on their clients?

Postby Saad Saleem » Mon May 23, 2016 1:35 am

I am suffering extreme lags too, any solution?

Postby Kristian Falat-marsh » Wed May 25, 2016 7:35 am

Hi

I am experiencing a similar issue, I currently have 3 devices working together on synergy, 2 desktop PC's and a Microsoft surface, All my devices are windows 10.
The 2 PC's are on Ethernet and the surface is on WiFi, yet both client machines (surface and 1 pc) experience a laggy cursor (almost resembling that of a game with really strong mouse acceleration).

Synergy otherwise works fine for me but is incredibly difficult and unpleasant to use with the mouse.

Kris

Postby Jenel » Wed May 25, 2016 10:15 am

The lag you experience is the result of strain on the wifi connection. Higher-end hardware, such as that with "smooth scroll" tends to have larger buffers, which actually makes this particular problem worse. Please try plugging in temporarily (internet, mouse, keyboard) to see if the problem goes away. You may also want to try using a crossover cable, as it provides a direct connection between the computers.

Postby Weiyin Chen » Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 pm

I also have the same problem, my macbook pro is server and win10 is client. When I move mouse to win10 desktop, it stuck sometimes. Any solution found?

Postby Jamie Valentin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:27 am

Jenel wrote:The lag you experience is the result of strain on the wifi connection. Higher-end hardware, such as that with "smooth scroll" tends to have larger buffers, which actually makes this particular problem worse. Please try plugging in temporarily (internet, mouse, keyboard) to see if the problem goes away. You may also want to try using a crossover cable, as it provides a direct connection between the computers.

Jenel, I have the same issue and have a very fast router, so it can't just be speed. Is there no setting in the software to improve this without resorting to hardware, which is what I was trying to avoid when I purchased this software?

Postby Dino Zagrljaca » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:54 am

Hi,

I have the same problem. Synergy runs smooth at times for a few seconds, but more often it gets laggy and unusable. Can Synergy officially address this issue? Working over wifi is the reason I bought this software and cables are not the option for me.

My server is MBP and client is an iMac. Changing the sides didn't worked too.

I dont even have ethernet jacks, and I dont want to hear about thunderbolt also.

Next

Return to General Discussion