Synergy 1.7.4 released

See announcements from the team.

Re: Synergy 1.7.4 released

Postby Brian S. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:54 pm

@ACC, there had been an issue in 1.7.3 which affected system performance but AFAIK that was fixed for 1.7.4. Without more info, I don't know what to suggest. If you're using Synergy over WiFi, and WiFi throughput is slow, it can cause these issues. Also if you Synergy debug level is set to the highest settings, it will capture a lot more info but this also slows Synergy. There are some keyboard/mouse settings on Mac which can affect performance, but you don't mention what OS the server or client are using.

The issues could probably be solved, with more info and a little bit of t-shooting. I hope you'll start a thread in "Configuration" in this forum with more info such as your OS(es), Synergy debug logs, and screen captures for some type of resource monitor program on each computer that shows per-program resource use.

ACC wrote:
  • Jittery
  • Unresponsive
  • Slow
  • Overall inconsistent mouse movement
  • Generally unusable

Postby Brian S. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:05 pm

@Dave Tropeano I don't know of a Windows 10 update conflict with Synergy. If you'd like to t-shoot this, I hope you'll start a thread in the "Connectivity" section of this forum with enough details such as Synergy debug logs, whether you're using wired or wireless networking, any info about error messages or how you perceive the disconnection, any non-default Synergy settings, and the actions you are doing at the time of disconnect (or, whether you are doing nothing and still there is a disconnect).

Dave Tropeano wrote:1.7.4 has been running fine for me on Windows 10 (server) and OSX Yosemite (client) until yesterday. Now the client is losing connection with the server (win 10) every few seconds. MS pushed an updates to Windows 10 a few days ago -- not sure if that has anything to do with this.

Is anyone else experiencing similar behavior?

Postby Brian S. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:09 pm

@Mark Richter, you can turn off encryption in Edit -> Settings -> Network Security.

You mentioned errors, but didn't list any. If you want to pursue t-shooting, please start a thread in the "Configuration" section of this forum and give all the info needed to understand the problem such as Synergy debug logs, exact errors and when they occurred, any non-default settings, OS exact versions, etc.

Mark Richter wrote:and now I don't even remember how to turn off the SSL, which appears to be what is screwing this release up.

Postby Brian S. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:12 pm

@Gregory Gillette, it would be helpful to have the Synergy logs for the time when this happened. I hope you don't mind starting a thread in "Crashing" with more info such as Synergy debug log (on system which crashes and at time of crash), any non-default settings, etc.

Gregory Gillette wrote:I upgraded my clients and server from 1.7.3 to 1.7.4 and on my server (Win 7 Pro x64, with Synergy 1.7.4 x64) after about 30 seconds of being logged into windows Synergy crashes,

Postby Brian S. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:18 pm

@Scott Boutwell, is there an issue that is not with your AV? If so, I hope you'll start a thread in "Configuration" (or whatever forum section is appropriate to the issue) with all the details needed to understand the issue. You've mentioned that Avast reacted to the Synergy install, but I don't see any issue that we can solve.

Scott Boutwell wrote:On the Server side when I did the install. AVAST (Virus Protection) complained/sandboxed the PLUGIN but I told it to allow it. On the Client side ZERO of that. Not sure if that make any difference.

Postby Brian S. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:22 pm

@Esther Singer, there's no description of a problem here and I didn't see any attachment. I'd love to help but there's no info at all except that it has something to do with updating. Note: this forum is for support of Synergy Basic, and with that level of membership there aren't any features which are added by running the wizard and downloading plugins. So, an option is just to not run the update since it primarily adds functionality for Synergy Pro users. If you are indeed a Synergy Pro user, you have other support options (when logged into Synergy site, look under "Support" in your "My account" page).

Esther Singer wrote:wont bore you with detals.

pls see full text in attachment

Postby Brian S. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:22 pm

@Michael Kinens, do you have a Basic or Pro membership? Referring to "download" are you talking about getting the program, or running the setup wizard which downloads plugins? Note: (also, @Allen, @Luke Jernejcic, @Gary Butler, @Aled Treharne, @eric john nagel, @Andy Hall) this forum is for support of Synergy Basic, and with that level of membership there aren't any features which are added by running the wizard and downloading plugins. Basic does not include SSL functionality, so if you are trying to use the included SSL then either you are trying to use a feature which your subscription doesn't provide or you're in the wrong place to get support. For Basic users having trouble with the wizard's activation process, an option is to just not run the update since it primarily adds functionality for Synergy Pro users. If you are indeed a Synergy Pro user, you have other support options (when logged into Synergy site, look under "Support" in your "My account" page).

Michael Kinens wrote:Same issue - was able to successfully download on my laptop utilising mobile broadband however this isnt an option on the office desktop.
Last edited by Brian S. on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Brian S. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:38 pm

Andy Hall wrote:The mouse pointer did not display and therefore I could not move to the password entry box. I had to reboot. This never happened on the pre-releases.

@Andy Hall, has this happened consistently? I'd like to write up a bug report if it is an issue with Synergy, so if this is still happening I hope you can provide info about:
- any custom mouse settings on either system
- any non-default Synergy settings
- Synergy debug log for the time when system was awakened

Andy Hall wrote:I brought up the client GUI again and the "Start" button still displayed.

Had you at some point canceled the Settings dialog? This is an ongoing issue with Synergy:
https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/4836

Andy Hall wrote:I have to navigate around in yet some magic sequence of clicks to get a "post a reply" button to display.

This isn't enough description for problem-solving. Would you mind describing the exact steps you use, and all instances where you think something should happen differently? I'm not currently having any trouble with forum replies. Maybe when the reply button is missing, the page does not see you as logged in (you have logged in at another browser window/tab but not refreshed the page, or are just not logged in)?

Postby Dave Kjar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 am

Allen wrote:I downloaded and installed 1.74. I attempted to post on the blog site where the announcement was made, but was apprehended by a Wordpress password request which stopped me -- and there was no link back to this forum , but I found my way here and can post.

With 1.74, Installation still took me hours because SSL does not work for me and I repeatedly failed until I turned SSL off. I have no idea why.

The installation and configuration process is somewhat mysterious and unexplained and he messages scrolling in the log are marginally useful to me.

When I turn SSL off, Synergy works fine.

I saw similar problems, with a message "ERROR: failed to verify server certificate fingerprint"

I could not get the client to ask to accept the fingerprint, until I changed the log level to DEBUG1 out of aimless desperation. Only then did Synergy ask me to accept the cert, and I found I could return the log level to "warning" state.

HTH.

Postby Stephen Gifford » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:24 pm

I'll try it, but has the issues with Adobe products been fixed?

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements